Chapter Two

"I'm sorry, kids, but it's already late and I'm about to get home," the coachman says as he looks at Raia and Raiden, adjusting his bowler hat

"I'm sorry, kids, but it's already late and I'm about to get home," the coachman says as he looks at Raia and Raiden, adjusting his bowler hat. A faint chime of coins reaches their ears as he taps his hand on the brown pouch strapped to his waist.

That slight movement may have been unintentional, but it is more than enough to imply that the carriage driver did not make enough money today. That being the case, he is hesitant to end his shift.

"Are you sure?" Raiden asks, his voice brimming with persuasion. After assisting the girl in bringing her father to her house not long ago, they made their way into the main street and found only one public carriage.

The coachman averts his gaze. He looks at Raiden after a brief moment of hesitation.

"How much can you give?" he asks, his voice hesitant. "At this late hour, there should be a fare increase, especially since my shift just ended."

Raiden smiles and reaches inside his coat. "How about this?"

The coachman's eyes widen when he looks at the tan drawstring pouch sitting on Raiden's palm. Then he frowns.

"Y-you're giving me all that?" he blurts out, unable to keep the disbelief out of his voice.

When Raiden nods, the coachman slowly reaches out a hand and takes the tan pouch from him with a little reluctance.

"Okay then, get in," the coachman says, gazing at the bag of sacred coins with a sparkle in his eyes. "This is more than enough to buy my son something good to eat."

Raiden thanks him several times before stepping inside the black carriage with Raia. They take their seats across from each other, and the carriage begins to move forward, passing huge buildings with windows full of golden glimmer, matching the glow of the bright, yellow street lamps that run along the side street. A cool breeze blows in across the deserted street, gently caressing their cheeks. The sound of horse hooves clicking against the cobblestones becomes a sort of lullaby for them.

"Are we there yet?" Raia asks, breaking the silence around them as she looks out the window.

"Not yet," Raiden answers, staring at the green leaf between his two fingers, one that came from his Blessing. "It's on the outskirts of town, and we're only a half-hour away now."

Raia sighs. "Half an hour."

She hasn't had much sleep for three days, looking for the organization that her master told. Her body feels tired and heavy already, she's even becoming more aware of the hunger surging through her. Does she even eat anything besides apples? Her forehead creases when her stomach lets out a quiet grumble.

"You kids okay in there?" the coachman says.

Raiden looks up from the leaf to respond, despite the fact that he can't see him. "Yeah." He casts a glance at Raia. "By the way, where are you from?"