Chapter Twenty Five

A month ago, Ian watched his mother disappear before his eyes

It all started when his mother began acting strangely. The moment she tried to attack him, a bright light engulfed Ian in a warm embrace. Then, in front of him, the shifting light transforms into a human-like figure with large, dazzling wings. Something inside Ian changed at that precise moment. Conflicting, strong emotions bombarded him at once as he gazed at it. Even if that figure didn't have eyes, Ian could tell it was looking at him.

All of a sudden, his mother was dissolving into light particles and he was holding a scythe.

He killed his mother.

He lied to his family.

Ian blames the Light that he saw for everything that happened that day.

Nothing is his fault; it's all the fault of that so-called angel. It made him a killer and a liar.

Ian even tried several times to get rid of the silver cross necklace that had mysteriously appeared around his neck. But no matter what he did, it always came back.

He can't get rid of it. He can't get away from reality.

The Panacea royal family does not believe that demons exist among them as predators. They don't believe in the Great Wizard or the heroes who are destined to save humans from such creatures. Ian wasn't convinced until he witnessed it for himself and became one of the heroes.

But he despises it, he despises everything about it. It will only ruin him and his family. He's a prince, the King's son. And, as an aristocrat, he should not be entangled in some preposterous organization. That's why he's keeping the truth about his mother and himself from his family.

However, after Raia informed him that a demon is currently inside the palace, he began to doubt himself. He can't let someone disappear again, especially his family. What should he do? Is the girl even telling the truth? Reality follows him no matter how much he denies it.

Still, he refuses to face it. He's terrified of facing it.

"How did you even know that?" Ian asks, trying to keep his voice steady. "Or is this your ruse to coerce me into joining your cult?"

"I don't waste my time playing with humans," Raia says in a deadly flat voice, a stern expression on her face. "Nor I am forcing you to do anything. I'm just warning you."

"Warning me?"

Ian holds his breath as Raia's eyes grow even colder as she stares at him, sensing the threatening aura emanating from her. He even begins to doubt her identity.

Is she really a disciple from such a holy organization? She doesn't look like one . . .

"Do you want to see any of these people end up like your mother?" Raia says.