Chapter Nine

An old stone castle stands on the edge of the vineyard, right on the bank of the Haven River

An old stone castle stands on the edge of the vineyard, right on the bank of the Haven River. From the highest floor, a silhouette of a man can be seen leaning on the window, gazing at the grey canvas high above him.

"Ah, look at that sky, isn't it beautiful?" Loki remarks with a mischievous grin on his face and a half-full glass of red wine in his hand.

"Yes, it is," answers the willowy woman standing two meters behind him.

"It's now reflecting the true color of this world," Loki says, swirling the wine. "Night is approaching, and this place will soon be shrouded in darkness. You see, even the sky becomes tainted." His brow furrows and his eyes darken. "Those Aragons are trying so hard. They must understand that while light will eventually fade, darkness will remain."

He finishes his glass of wine and turns to face the trembling young lady. As he looks at her, he leans his elbows against the window sill. One corner of his mouth crooks up when the woman flinches at his gaze.

He enjoys the power he has over the frail human.

However, when Raiden's face appears in his mind, his smile turns into a scowl.

"Humans are a fascinating species, don't you think? They are so desperate to save the world. But I'm also desperate to change the world." He stretches his neck to look up at the ceiling. His thoughts drift towards Raiden. "But I wonder if that kid is even aware."

Loki bursts out laughing before speaking again.

"Humans never cease to entertain me." He locks his gaze on the woman. "Am I right? Humans are both predictable and unpredictable."

Loki smiles as the woman gulps in fear. Not only that, but she has a beauty that is pleasing even to his inhuman eyes. The moonlight slipping through the window behind Loki illuminates her pale skin, accentuating her beauty. She is dressed in a long crimson velvet gown that complements her fair complexion. Her eyes are emerald green, and her dark hair cascades down her well-shaped hips.

Loki's lips curve into a smile, and he takes a step closer to her. "You're such a beautiful human. It's a shame you've ended up in my hands. Consider this a compliment from me, eh?"

When he extends his hand, the woman flinches, and his hand comes to a halt an inch away from her head. He blinks a couple of times before laughing.

"Too scared? I haven't done anything yet," he says as he closes the remaining gap, patting the woman on the head as if she were a dog.

The woman lowers her gaze and bites her bottom lip.

"Now, take this to the table and then come back to me," he orders, handing her the empty wine glass, and the young woman does as she is told.