Chapter 4

Talk"

'Think'

"Parseltongue"

Chapter 4 – Shopping in Diagon Alley

Petunia and Harry stepped out into the Alley with their minds filled with new information. They stood watching everyone move about going store to store before walking to the first store on their shopping list; Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions. The store was surprisingly empty. An attendant waved Harry over with a friendly smile, if not a little tired. Petunia pushed Harry to follow the woman into the room for fitting while she took his bag and moved to look at different fabrics stacked against the walls. Harry walked into the room to find one other person up on a stand. It was a boy about his age. He had light blond hair slicked back, and cloudy grey-blue eyes on a fair-skinned face.

Harry stepped up onto the stand the woman indicated and watched a measuring tape start flying around him doing its job. "School supplies deary?"

"Yes ma'am, but also some casual in green, red, black, and blue if you please," Harry answered. The lady smiled and nodded getting back to work.

The kid next to him took this time have a look over at Harry. He must have found something he approved of because he nodded and stuck a hand out. "Name's Draco, Draco Malfoy."

Harry took the hand in a firm shake, "Harrison Evans, Pleasure to meet you Draco."

Draco smiled as they dropped their hand back to their side. "You are going to Hogwarts too? I can't wait. Do you know what house you will be in?"

Harry let a small laugh out, "To answer your first question, yes I am going to Hogwarts. I am thinking either Slytherin or Ravenclaw but Gryffindor wouldn't be too bad. My family is from all three houses."

Draco looked intrigued. "Your family doesn't care about the house rivalry? If I got into anything but Slytherin I would be a disgrace. No Malfoy has been in any other house."

Harry shrugged, "Both my parents were Gryffindors but my grandparents were a Slytherin and a Ravenclaw from what my aunt has been told. How recent is the rivalry?"

Draco sputtered before getting himself under control. "The rivalry has been around since the founder's time. Slytherin and Gryffindor do not get along. It's almost completely unheard of."

Harry blinked in surprise and confusion. His great-grandparents were a Slytherin and a Gryffindor. He knew this because his mother had explained some of the Potter history to Petunia in letters after she married Harry's father and went into hiding. "Maybe it's just my family then. I don't care as long as no one judges me on my house. It's not right and I will not put up with it." Harry finished with a nod.

Draco smiled. He was about to say something when the lady measuring both of them told him he was done. Draco stepped down from the stand and turned back to Harry. "Have you gotten your books yet?" Harry shook his head no. "Then I'll wait for you and we can go together. My mother is looking for a book and I was to meet her over there when I was done."

"Alright, thank you." Harry gave Draco another smile. The lady finished with him soon after and the boys made their way back out into the shop where Petunia was waiting, looking at the simple dark purple dress. Petunia glanced up to see both boys and put the dress back.