Chapter 10: The Smell of Smoke

Rhodes Island, Morning

The doctor felt sick when she woke up, nearly throwing up when her eyes readjusted to the curtain-covered room. She must've blacked out when her head fell against the pillow.

Wendy: Put a crossbow against my head and paint the room red with my blood... I don't wanna work today, this bed is too comfortable now...

"You have someone awaiting your presence in your office, he says it's urgent."

Wendy: Morning PRTS. Tell them to wait a few more minutes.

PRTS: Negative. They have been waiting for five hours since last night.

Wendy: So you're telling me they have been waiting since one in the morning?

PRTS: If you haven't done the math yet, yes. Would you like me to inform him of your absence?

Wendy: Yeah... wait. Is there a catch?

The disembodied voice stayed silent, having been found out.

PRTS:...

Wendy:...

PRTS:...I will have to inform Dr. Kal'tsit of your absence.

Wendy: Wait NO-!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wall of paper work were still as high as she remembered from last night, maybe even taller, as she expertly maneuvered through the stacks with the grace of a drunk feline, surprisingly quick on her feet but still managing to knock over a small stack.

Wendy: One day I'm going to drown in these... Huh? Why are these all complete? None of these were even touched once last night but here it is complete with my signature!

She filed through another stack surprised to see it already written too, she then checked another, and another, and another, until all of them were scattered in her office, the paperwork seemingly completing itself overnight.

Wendy: No matter. As long as I don't have to do it, hope Dr. Kal'tsit never finds out about this. Now where is this guy PRTS was talking about?

"Lap... Jeanette..."

Wendy:...Hey.

"Hm? What is that... collar for?"

Wendy: Wake up!

Moving her hand to touch the sleeping Sankta, her heart beated in anticipation. Why was she scared? It wasn't like he was dangerous, but she still hesitated, a voice in the back of her head warning her something cataclysmic would happen if she touched him.

Wendy: Come on, you are older than this kid. If you want to conquer your fear of Dr. Kal'tsit then start with this boy!

Her hand was nearing his face, just before he did, Y/n swatted it off while mumbling, earning a squeak from the doctor.

Y/n:...Don't touch me without consent...

Wendy: He's still sleeping?

Y/n: Not anymore thanks to you.

Y/n took off his white coat he used as a blanket and yawned, stretching as his face contorts into one of relief. He fished through his coat as he takes out a reusable plastic cup and a sachet full of powder, all while keeping eye contact with Wendy, he began to vigorously shake the sachet.

Y/n: You got a kettle in here?

Wendy: Um, yes.

Y/n: Boil some water for me, I need a drink.