Chapter 33: Pink + White

Sal Viento

Hours later, they reached their destination. Skadi could feel Specter's presence somewhere in the town, suppressed like air in a balloon, yet some of her scent still escaped and lingered, waiting for Skadi to pick them up.

Thanatos: Well?

Skadi: She is definitely here... others too.

Y/n: Specter's Captain? Gladiia if I remember correctly.

Skadi: Yes, and someone else... But who?

Y/n: Hey, let's familiarize ourselves with this place first. It won't take long, especially with... yeah.

They stood out like sore thumbs, yet no one spared them more than a passing glance. None of them even replied to Thanatos's questions when he asked, choosing to stare at him for a few seconds before walking away.

Safe to say it was more like speaking to a walking corpse than a living person.

Thanatos: H-Huh...? What's w-wr-wrong with these people?

Y/n: Sal Viento wasn't on any modern Iberian maps, the government must've forgotten them.

Thanatos: The Inquisition?

Y/n: The Inquisition. Our little spy must be surprised to see such a small town off the map still alive and kicking.

Thanatos: U-Uhm. Where did S-Skadi go?

Skadi was gone, she probably left them after noticing something that caught her interest. Y/n groaned as he would have to find her, again.

Y/n: Ughh... We'll leave her be for now. Let's see what this can even offer.

...

Turns out, not much.

They got a room, well more like they found an unoccupied(probably) house and made it their temporary camp. It was a health and safety hazard, but it was the best they got. Food wasn't a problem since they packed beforehand, but it still didn't lessen their worries seeing how starved and desperate the people were, both knew that they were expecting thieves at night.

Years of neglect had turned everyone here to a state similar to zombies. Malnourished citizens groaned in despite, their weak bones cracking like it had shattered. They didn't respond well to Y/n and Thanatos calling them out, usually ignoring them and walking in the opposite direction.

After a whole afternoon of getting the same cold shoulder response, they were back in their temporary home, heating up a couple cans of fish.

Thanatos: Ev-Everyone in this town is... odd.

Y/n: Mm...

Thanatos: We can't do much finding without S-Skadi, should-should we try to search for her t-to-tomorrow?

Y/n: It's been twelve hours, hasn't it?

Thanatos immediately knew what Y/n meant, nodding as he took out and handed Y/n a bottle of moisturizer and a tumbler of water.

Thanatos: Le-Let's find her b-before she gets too sick.

Y/n: Mm...

Thanatos furrowed his brows at the lack of response, Y/n acted like this a lot when he was lost in thought. The Ursine couldn't help but sigh in defeat and leave the house.

Michelle: Something on your mind?

Y/n: Can't you just read my mind if you want to know?

Michelle made a sound, it could only he defined as a shrug in audio form.