Chapter 34: Line Without A Hook

Sal Viento

Y/n followed the robed man as he soon left the crowd of townsfolk, his dark cloak easily blending in with the rocks.

He made sure to keep his distance, as the man was still an unknown threat, or a complete mystery. It was also a possibility that Gladiia or the other known as Rosemary was nearby, the former was definitely a losing battle, while the latter was as much of an unknown aside from water-based Arts.

"Meow"

Y/n: Dog...! What're you doing here!?

Dog:...Meow.

Michelle: Shut up and pick him up already before he hears us!

With a sigh, Y/n picked up the kitten up and hid her in his coat, before continuing his trail.

It bugged him a bit how slow the man was walking, stopping every half a minute or so the look to the sea, at a few points staring to mumble incohesive prayers. Y/n quickly grew impatient, the temptation to throw a rock to scare the man was at an all time high. Over an hour would pass before he followed him to a church, inwardly groaning in irritation as they hadn't walked that far, the crowd of townsfolk still in the distance.

Y/n snuck into the church through the front door, finding himself in a large interior with carved marble walls and pillars, the ceiling had a mural with paint that had long since faded. It was completely empty from his view, the pine green-tinted windows not allowing much light to come through.

Michelle: Two of them, other side of the room.

Y/n: Think I have a chance to take them on?

Michelle: Not at all.

Y/n: Shit then.

Y/n cleared his throat, finding himself standing out in the open. He could see the same old man, murmuring to another person that was hidden by the shadows. When they heard him, the only the robed man came out to speak to him, revealing his masked face with his seafoam green eyes visible.

"My, greetings dear child. And who may you be?"

It was clear the robed man was suspicious, Sathariel tilted his head a bit, trailing his hand against one of the dusty pews to act as casual as possible.

Y/n: It's Y/n. You?

Quintus: Well, if it isn't clear by now, I operate this humble Lateran church. You may refer to me as... Quintus, dear Y/n.

Quintus' voice was odd, it sounded normal at a first listen, but after hearing it for a short while, he could start to notice little details to placed his voice in the area of uncanniness. If Y/n could best describe it, it was like a wet speaker playing sounds.

Quintus: It isn't often we receive visitors from the origin of the beliefs of this very church. Is there a reason why you are here? Surely there are better places in Iberia you can sightsee.

Y/n: That's true, but when I've heard of an abandoned Lateran church in the southernmost point of Iberia, I just couldn't help it. I'm a fan of religious architecture, you see.

Quintus nodded in interest, as Y/n sat down in one of the pews after dusting it off. The robed man felt a bit more relaxed, but still hesitant to believe the story.

Y/n: I was expecting to see nothing but ruins, but to see this church in such great condition brings a smile to my lips. Would you mind for a short interview? It'll just be about the history of this church.

Somewhat buying his excuse, Quintus sat across Y/n, himself face to face with a smiling Sankta, who had his hands neatly placed on his lap.

Quintus: This church was abandoned when I first discovered it years ago, a massive sinkhole had claimed over a quarter of the building...