Chapter 28: The Denouement of a Scheme

Chernobog

Mostima didn't know how it happened, Phoenix as well, both of them must have looked away long enough for Y/n to slip out of their view. Now they were moving to the center of the city as well, as he would most likely be there.

Mostima: How does he even do it...?

Phoenix: His Arts.

Mostima: That sly bastard... He makes it so hard to hate and like him at the same time.

Phoenix: Welcome to my experience working with him.

Mostima: Heh, this ain't my first, and no way in hell it's gonna be my last

While they talked, the two made their way to the center of the city, doing their best in avoiding groups of armed infected who looked to be hostile, figures wearing cloaks praying to wooden sculptures and idols, or just people general like an introvert who's lost the will to socialize.

Some would lead them to dark alleys, where the light was blocked by hanging laundry left behind by fleeing citizens of Chernobog, some would be through the winding corridors of an office space devoid of workers.

Their destination seemed to be closer than ever, but one thing seemed to be in their path to reuniting with Y/n.

Mostima was the first to notice them, their tall and threatening air alerting her beforehand and making her act out by stopping Phoenix from going outside through the door.

Mostima: Emperor's Blades. From what I can see through the window they're several, not as much as last time.

Phoenix: They must've split up after the last time we saw them. We should tell Sathariel when we meet him.

Mostima: Mm- Wait, something's wrong.

The Emperor's Blades was moving, in a way that made them look like they were retreating from something or someone. From the angle she could see at, one of them was on the ground.

Something was outside, and it was powerful enough to make a whole group of them retreat and take one of them down to the ground.

Mostima: Holy shit!

Phoenix: What? Did you see something?

Mostima: The Blades are fighting someone... and losing!

Phoenix: Hiding is out best option then, or relocating, the latter option will risk exposing ourselves to the enemy.

Mostima: Hiding it is.

It didn't take that long for the sounds of fighting to cease, replaced with squelching sounds that were like walking in wet crocs and the unmistakable stench of blood.

"Find... m-more..."

A raspy, almost child-like voice, it felt straight out of one of those horror films Phoenix liked to watch, much to the others' chagrin.

Mostima: *whisper* Fuck was that...?

Phoenix: *whisper* Whatever it is, it's what killed the Emperor's Blades.

The squelches grew louder and louder, as the two's heartbeats grew faster and faster as they could hear whoever was outside's nonsensical mumbles fill their ears.

"N-Need more... bl-bl-blood... haha..."

They were situated on the second floor of what is a residential home, in one of the bedrooms with the curtains drawn. Phoenix, from her angle, could see from the small crack of a window the curtain couldn't cover. What she saw was a small figure, hobbling and wobbling around the street like a drink, they were completely covered head-to-toe in blood, an equally bloody scythe in one of their mangled and torn hands, the muscles and veins becoming exposed to the elements.