Chapter 13: Brothers in Memory

*thud*

"I resign."

Ch'en: Hah?

This was the second officer to resign today, both within the span of three hours. Ch'en was suspicious of them, yet could not find any connections between them, and aside from working for the same organization, they had only met once.

"You heard me. I want to resign, I'm sick of this."

Ch'en: Sick of what? If you have any complaints you know very well you can-

"That's not it. You know fully well of my condition, Madam Ch'en."

Ch'en closed her eyes as she crossed her arms, gears turning in her head.

Ch'en: So you want to leave because you felt like a hypocrite.

"Yes. I'm leaving before I become more like one, before I become you."

She opened her eyes, glaring at the her subordinate, as if she just crossed a line.

Ch'en:...I will pretend I didn't hear that last one.

"You shouldn't ignore what I said. We have the same condition Madam Ch'en, I hope you reconsider which side you are on. 'Cause one day Lungmen will find out, let's see if they can accept an infected like you, Superintendent."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You can do better."

"Don't disappoint us."

"I like you too."

"You can't leave me!"

"Please, don't go."

"I can't breathe..."

"It's all your fault."

Visions... Memories floated pass him, in a dark void that was his messed up mind. Each memory was distinct, carrying a certain emotion, or a certain moment in his life he deemed memorable.

There were memories he liked...

A woman with her face obscured by light embraced him, he could feel her warmth even when it was just a memory.

"I'm proud to be your mother."

...And memories he hated.

"We mustn't tell him."

A man in a bloodied suit peered over a corpse, knives and forks and even a metal rod floated next to him, which revealed who killed the dead man judging by the bloody cuts and bumps he had.

In the corner, a young black-haired boy witnessed the whole thing, mouth covering his hand to silence his cries. It was his first time crying, or showing any sign of emotion aside from the slight smile. Shocked and possibly traumatized, the boy could only whimper as his father called for the maids to clean up the murders scene.

He breathed a sigh, taking a hold of his emotions that was the cause of this memories spinning in his head. The memories came to a stop, and he could now focus on one at a one instead of taking it all in.

"They... what?"

"They've been switching your grades. You brother's taking all the credit for your work, not you."

A specific memory was first, one he didn't want to experience if he was a child, which he was in this particular memory.

A 10 year old, dressed in comfortable sleepwear stared in quiet shock at his visiting teacher, who had come to pass his grades and stayed with them for a night because of a storm outside.