Chapter 17: For the Sake of Privacy

Lungmen

Phoenix: Wait. Slow down.

Y/n: Hm?

Phoenix: Slow down but continue slowly, prepare to shoot as you approach behind that dumpster. Two unknowns are tailing us.

Her voice was so low he barely heard it, Y/n looked back and saw the Liberi subtly looking behind her with suspicious eyes, as if someone was hiding behind that corner they just passed.

Y/n's fingers casually fiddled with the handle of his gun located at his hip, pretending to tap against his gun out of boredom. The dumpster Phoenix mentioned was right next to him, just a few more steps and he would discover whoever was tailing them.

Y/n: They could be hiding there, or they could be invisible, but Phoenix could easily locate them with her Originium Arts. Maybe they could sneak up behind me while I become confused on how they are not there, or maybe they are hiding inside the dumpster! Or maybe-

The level of panic he was feeling went through the roof, multiple scenarios where he gets ambushed and possibly get killed made his hand shake.

Y/n: Haaah... Just calm down Y/n. You will do fine, you're capable and smart to fight them off even when they have the most bullshit Originium Arts.

Y/n grabbed the handle of his Glock and dashed to the corner, facing the potential ambusher but saw nothing. He quickly looked back and also nothing. Confused, he pulled out his sword, still in its sheath, before wildly waving it around him.

Y/n: Uh... What? Birdie I think you need to get your eyes checked.

Phoenix's eyes scanned the area around her, the heat signature of the person behind her still lingered, but the other one who previously hid behind the dumpster was gone, or their heat signature was. She look the surrounding area of the dumpster, ending with her looking up to see a heat signature.

Phoenix: Y/n, Above you!

Through her Arts, she could see the ambusher drop down on top of Y/n still invisible to the naked eye. Y/n luckily was able to somehow block a strike with the sheath of his sword.

Y/n: Fuck, how did I forget about flying? Wait, so where are you?

A slight sting came from his cheek, he swung around his sheath again but caught nothing.

Y/n: Birdie, can we- pffft! swap?

Without another word, Phoenix cam from behind him, brandishing a knife out from inside her coat and immediately slashing the air. Y/n looked back with a smile at his new opponent, wearing a black coat, a figure as tall as him held onto a sword twice his height, its blade reflecting the warm street lamp, creating an almost spiritual glow.

Y/n: Yep, this is somewhat easier. Hehe...

The figure dashed at him, their swiftness, which reached at a speed of what seemed to be unreachable, was hard to track with the naked eye.
Y/n pulled out his bow and began loading a 3-in-1 arrow, waiting for his moment to shoot.

When he released the arrow, the figure unfortunately dodged, but the arrow ricocheted off the wall and back, forcing the coated man to jump and raise his blade, the reach of his nodachi was long enough to slash down Y/n.

Unable to pull out his sword in time,
Y/n blocked the attack with his bow, small cracks started to appear on the metal surface, but luckily it didn't fully snap.

Y/n: What the heck he's too quick!! This is so unfair. Azeth, I need your Phantasms!

Azeth: Y'know what? This is the perfect time to teach you how to summon my Phantasms.