Chapter 2

~Mabel's POV~

"Dipper?" I called through the closed door. "We're having victory nachos downstairs if you want some!"

I heard a muffled reply of "Okay."

What was up with Dip? I thought he'd be thrilled to have the author here. Isn't that all he wanted to do this summer? I wonder what was wrong.

For some reason, I felt like this was all my fault. Was he mad at me for not shutting down the machine? But he shouldn't be. We rescued Stan's brother! Isn't that just as good?

"Well, we'll save some for you," I said, somewhat sadly. I turned away and went back downstairs.

Stan and Stanford were deep in conversation in the living room. I ignored them and walked in the kitchen where Soos was. "Hey, dude," he said. "Where's Dipper?"

I shrugged. "The door was locked."

"Locked?" Soos asked. "Why would he lock himself up? The author's here! I thought that he'd be bombing him with questions about that book."

"I know!" I said. "There's something wrong with him, but I don't know what it is."

Soos pushed the nachos towards me. "You deserve these, dude. You were the hero this time."

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah. If it wasn't for you, Stan's brother might still be stuck in that portal, maybe for good."

I smiled. "Wow. I never realized that."

Soos handed me a Pit Cola. "To Mabel, the hero!"

We drank out soda's together. I was so ready for the rest of the summer! Look out, Dipper! You're not the only hero now!

~Dipper's POV~

I started at the ceiling. Why did I even care? Mabel saved a life! Maybe I've done some heroic stuff in the past, but at least she was with me and not against me.

I'd locked the door to keep her from barreling in here and bragging about how she saved the day. What had I done? I shouted at her to push the button, to stop what chaos I thought would happen if the clock ever reached zero. I could have trapped our grandpa in there, maybe for good, if I'd made her press the button. Maybe I was just mad at myself for being wrong.

"You might want to think that."

I jumped up. Where had that come from? No one could've gotten in here with the door locked.

"I told you big things were coming. You believe me now?"

"Bill?"

There was a flash of yellow light and he appeared there. He tipped his top hat to me. "So, the author has returned. Your own sister didn't trust you, did she? Did she ever really trust you?"

"Stop messing around with my mind, Bill," I said. "Mabel trusts me and I trust her."

"Oh, she might. But why didn't she listen to you then? You knew all the facts and had evidence of all of the stuff that was going to happen, but she trusted that no good, two faced, backstabbing uncle of yours. I know that makes you feel horrible inside. You feel betrayed."

I looked down. I couldn't lie to myself. But I could lie to Bill. "I don't know what your talking about."

Bill put an arm around my shoulder. "Please, Pine Tree. Did you really think you could lie to me?"

I pushed him off. "I'm serious."

"Sure you are."

I glared at him. "What do you want with me?"

"I know the way you feel and I thought I could help you through it."

"You don't know anything about the way I feel!" I said. Gah! What's with puberty and mood swings? One minute I'm feeling sorry for myself and the next I'm yelling.

"I know more about feelings than you think," Bill said. "You see, kid, I was once a boy like you. Curious, adventurous, brave, maybe a little on the obsessive side. All I wanted was to be stronger than anyone else in this world. My dark obsession grew and that's pretty much what drove me a little insane."

"A little?" I asked.

Bill glared at me. "Anyway, I found powers of my own and become this demon. Now I'll live forever, never have to worry about pain and can haunt people's dreams for eternity! Life's pretty good for me."

"And this is suppose to help me...how?" I asked.

Bill shrugged. "Just thought I'd tell you. You and me, we're not that different. Jealousy got me here, too."

"I'll never be like you, Bill!" I said. "Just leave me alone! And I'm not jealous!"

"But you do feel betrayed. I'll be waiting, Pine Tree." And with that he disappeared.

~theshipper101~
Could Bill really be telling the truth?
We'll have to wait and see
Congrats to those who have gotten it this far!
Hope you like oncoming chapters!