Chapter 5

~Stan's POV~

"Are you sure?" I asked Stanford.

He nodded. "And that thieving little nephew of yours has the third journal of mine."

"He's just not used to other people having it," I said. "He'll grow to respect that it's yours and not his."

Ford opened his mouth to say something, but before he could, he was interrupted by a yell. "Grunkle Stan!"

It was Mabel. "I'm kinda busy, sweetie!"

"Its Dipper!" She ran into the room, panting.

"Dipper? What trouble has he gotten himself into now?"

"It's Bill!" Mabel said. She grabbed my sleeve. "Bill has him!"

"Bill? You mean the triangle guy who invaded my mind and possessed your brother? What would he want with him?"

"I don't know," Mabel said. She looked close to tears by now. "We have to save him!"

"We will," I assured her. "Know where'd Bill take him?"

Mabel shook her head. "I-I don't know."

My face fell. "W-what?"

"He just disappeared with Dipper a-and the journal."

Stanford's eyes widened. "The journal? Do you have any idea what damage Bill can do with that book?"

Mabel shook her head.

"Well, no need to dwell on terrible things, right?" Stanford said hopefully. "Right now we just need to get the journal and Dipper back, before Bill does anything crazy."

_____________________

~Bill's POV~

I dropped Pine Tree when we got to the mindscape. He was still unconscious from our little deal.

I'm glad Shooting Star made it easy for me to bend his mind. Now all I have to do is break it.

I shot a fireball near Pine Tree's head to wake him up.

"Ah!"

"Morning Pine Tree," I said.

"Where..."

"Welcome to the mindscape,"

"What...you-you tricked me!"

"A deal's a deal."

Pine Tree shivered. His hat had fallen off and his hair was sticking up. "It wasn't a deal. And you made me shake your hand!"

I shrugged. "No you didn't. You shook it under your free will. Yeah, I told you what you wanted to believe, but it's all true."

"Sure," the kid said, standing up. He was shaking now. "Why's it so cold?"

"I don't feel anything," I said.

"How can't you? It's like a Minnesota winter!"

"Being a demon has its perks."

Pine Tree shook harder. "W-what ar-are you u-up to?" He said through chattering teeth.

"Oh, nothing," I said. "Nothing except maybe taking you to my secret cave. When you're in your mindscape, you know exactly what's going on outside your body. I need to distract you long enough so you don't remember where to find it."

Pine Tree hugged himself for warmth. His breath came out in puffs. "I-I h-hate yo-you."

I tipped my hat at him. "That's what I'm here for."

He leaned against the wall and slid to the ground. "W-where are y-y-you t-taking m-me?" He tried to sound demanding, but it came out too weak.

"Hey, would you rather be a popsicle," I said. "Or a pile of ash?" I held up my hand and caught my hand on fire.

Pine Tree shivered, but didn't answer. His eyes slowly closed.

"Oh, Pine Tree," I said to no one in particular. "You have no idea. Its cute. But you know what?"

Of course' he didn't answer, because he had fallen asleep.

"Pine Trees burn quite fast."