26

I had toys spread out on the floor around me as far as I could reach. Between what Alex had given me for Christmas and what my parents sent, I had more than enough toys. The blocks and magnet toys were some of my favorites things to play with. I was building a large tower around me, seeing how tall I could make it before it either toppled or I ran out of blocks.

I was so preoccupied that I didn't hear Naomi step into my room.

"Lyla?"

I straightened up on my knees, getting as tall as I could considering I couldn't stand. I smiled at her. "Hi."

She walked over to stand on the opposite side of the tower. "What are you building?"

"I wanted to see how tall I could make it. It's just a tower."

"Can I help?" I hadn't realized she was coming over; Alex never said anything to me. Usually, when she visited, she would play with me for a few minutes before leaving me to play by myself. I was used to it so this switch surprised me.

I nodded and handed her some blocks. "This is all I have left."

"Do you want to leave the top open or do you want me to make a roof over your head?"

"Cover me up."

Naomi knelt down beside me and started stacking the blocks. It only took a few blocks before the light above me started getting smaller and I was sucked up inside the tower.

"Lyla, I think you disappeared. I can't find you."

I smiled and pushed the blocks. The blocks in front of me toppled to the floor while the blocks above that layer collapsed on me, scattering across the floor.

A laugh escaped my lips and I rolled onto my back, the blocks surrounding me.

Naomi laid down beside me and stared up at the ceiling. "I'm not cleaning all of this up."

I laughed even harder and put my hands on my stomach. We laid there for several minutes as my laughter slowly died off.

I turned my head in her direction. "Can I tell you something?"

"Yeah, what is it?"

"I want you to be my mommy." I didn't even realize how heavy my words were as I was saying them. It was something that came to my mind and I let it flow from my lips. I knew it was true or I wouldn't have said it. Naomi was one of the sweetest, kindest people I'd ever known. She played with me when she didn't have to and she cared for me even though she barely knew me. She accepted me, flaws and all, and it was something I knew I wouldn't get from anyone else. I really wanted things to work out between her and Alex because I wanted her to stick around for a long time.

"Lyla? Naomi?" Alex stopped in the doorway and smiled at us. "The food's here."

I got to my hands and knees and reached up for Alex. "What'd you get for dinner?"

"Chinese."

"That's my favorite."

Naomi slowly got to her feet and cleared her throat. "I'm going to wash my hands and I'll be down."

As we went downstairs, she went to the bathroom. She looked nervous about something but I let it go. Surely, she was fine and would play with me after we ate.

---

Alex walked back in and closed the door behind him. He turned off the outside lights before walking into the living room. He looked around the room before his eyes landed on me. "Can we talk for a few minutes?"