60

Monica was still recovering from being shot. She was going to physical therapy several times a week but still couldn't walk very far without needing her wheelchair. The doctors said it would be possible for her to walk again but it would take a long time to regain her independence.

So for Thanksgiving, she asked that everyone go to her house. She wanted the four of us and her mother to be there. I knew she wouldn't not invite her own mother but I hated the thought of her being there.

Alex assured me everything would be fine. He told me there was nothing to worry about but that was easy for him to say.

Cooper was in a good mood so I was hoping that it would deflect some of the attention from me and onto him. He didn't know how annoying Alex's mom was yet. It was his turn to deal with her.

I looked to my right at Cooper in his car seat. He had a dangling toy in front of him that he was desperately trying to reach for. He seemed so carefree.

That was always the one thing I struggled with since moving to Alpine. I couldn't stop worrying and just be a baby. That wasn't in my nature after growing up and making friends and going to high school. Even though I didn't have any of that anymore, it was still hard to forget.

As the car came to a stop in Monica's driveway, I lifted my pacifier from my side and put the nipple in my mouth. I wouldn't have to talk to anyone and they couldn't yell at me for using it.

It wasn't often that I even used it. I didn't like doing stuff that forced me to be a baby. I couldn't control the diapers or baby clothes or even my crib. But the toys I played with and how I played was. Using a pacifier was.

Naomi got out of the car and opened my door. She smiled at me as she unbuckled me from my car seat. "We brought a playpen for you in case you need it. We'll be here a while and I still want you to get a nap in today."

"Does the baby have to be in there with me?"

"No, you can have it all to yourself."

"Good."

"There's that baby. Bring him inside so he doesn't get cold." I could hear Monica's voice at the door as she watched Alex approach. She led Alex into the warmth of her living room and Naomi and I followed.

Naomi set me down on the floor and a bag filled with my toys followed. She knelt down beside me and opened up the bag. "Don't make too much of a mess, okay?"

I nodded.

"How has he been sleeping at night?"

Naomi walked over to the couch and sat down beside Monica. Both of them were fawning over Cooper. "He's been doing a little better. It's still not how I'd like it but at least he's sleeping through parts of the night."

"I'm glad to hear that. Aside from the messes they make, their crying is the worst."

Naomi smiled. "It's exhausting but I love him. I don't think I would trade it for anything."

"He'll grow out of it soon."

Naomi laughed. "And then we'll have to deal with him telling me 'no' all the time."

"Babies always keep you on your toes."

"Of course."

Monica leaned to her left and grabbed the arm of her wheelchair. She pulled it closer to her and lifted herself into it. "Do you mind helping me with the turkey? I was going to ask Ty to get it in the oven for me but he's not a cook at all. I don't want him to ruin it in some way."

Naomi laughed. "Your brother isn't either. If we can prevent it from being ruined, I'm all for it."

I watched them leave the room before I made my move toward the TV remote. I grabbed it off the coffee table and turned the TV on. I flipped through the channels, hoping a good Christmas movie would be on. Even in November, some people were enjoying Christmas early.

I found a movie about Santa Claus and left it on while I went back to play.

Ty walked in and I noticed Alex following behind him. He stopped in front of me and my toys and knelt down on one knee. "Hey, Lyla. It's good to see you again. I hope the baby's not keeping you up anymore."

I shook my head.

He smiled. "Good. Alex told me how hard that was on you. I hope you know you're always welcome to stay here if you need to."

I wasn't opposed to staying with them. They liked having me around and it gave me a chance to be on my own for a day or two. But I liked being home.

I nodded.

He pushed on his knee and stood up. He walked over and sat down on the couch beside Alex. "Do you care if we put the football game on?"

I pulled my pacifier from my mouth and sighed. "I can't say no, can I?"

"You can watch it with us." Alex patted the spot on the couch beside him.

I rolled my eyes. That in no way made up for being stuck watching football all day. And it wasn't like I could ask to help in the kitchen. I wasn't allowed to deal with anything involving heat, knives, or lifting heavy things.

He leaned down to where I was. "Come on. It won't be so bad."

I knew that wasn't true but at least it was better than playing by myself. I reached up for him and let him lift me on the couch.

I wasn't interested in the game but Naomi was right when she said I might need a nap. Sitting next to Alex with my bear in my lap and a blanket wrapped around me was all I needed. It wasn't long before I was asleep.