62

Naomi rubbed her hand up and down my back as we listened to what went on in the dining room. After Emily was done with her tirade, we heard the front door close rather harshly and were left in silence.

Part of me believed Emily. I knew I didn't fit in in Alpine. I knew that the moment I moved to town with my parents. Yet I'd grown used to the rules and expectations enough that I followed them without much complaint. Emily had no right to claim that I wasn't a good fit when I had been pretty perfect all evening.

Her words still hurt. I still took her words to heart. The pit in my stomach that made me feel nauseous only grew larger until it was a lump in my throat.

Naomi seemed upset by what Emily said. Whether it was the comments directed at her or at me, she didn't like what she heard. Tears were falling from her eyes as she held me, slowly rocking me back and forth.

I hadn't cried yet but it was coming. I could tell it would happen but I was trying my hardest to not give into it right away.

Emily clearly knew what she was doing when she came. Maybe she thought we wouldn't be there. Maybe Monica hadn't said she invited us when she told Emily to come. But I at least assumed she would be civil considering her whole family was there. It was a holiday, not a place for her to voice her opinion on everything we were doing wrong.

I knew she was right. I didn't know much about how Alex ran Alpine. He didn't tell me and I didn't ask. It was safer that way to not know. But maybe he wasn't running things the right way or the best way. It seemed fine to me but I wasn't there for long before he took over. But I did know that I was an experiment that Alex was working on. He wanted to perfect it so he'd have an obedient child who never argued or fought back on any of the rules. He didn't quite get what he wanted but I was still a baby and that was really all he needed me to be.

I just hated that Emily called all of us out for it. I didn't need to be reminded of how awful I was. About how much of a failure I was. It was like I was the worst thing about Alpine.

I turned my head into Naomi's chest, taking comfort in her warmth. I was surprised she reacted the way she did. She could have easily left the room by herself and left me there to take the brunt of the insults. Instead, she took me with her, giving me a break from the harassment neither of us deserved.

The door opened and I was surprised to see Monica enter. She came over to where we sat on the edge of the bed and put a hand on my back.

"I'm sorry she said those things. Someone like her doesn't think about anyone's feelings but their own. She doesn't realize the effect it can have."

"Why doesn't she like me?" My voice was as small as I felt.

Naomi held me closer to her as if she was protecting me. "Baby, it's not your fault. I'm so sorry she was mean to you."

"It's my mom's fault, Lyla. There was no reason for her to say what she did."

I frowned. "If she didn't say it, she'd still be thinking it."

Monica sighed. "There's no changing someone like her. I'm not even sure if telling her she's wrong would do any good."

"I'm sorry she ruined dinner."

"She didn't ruin dinner. There's still plenty of food out there and I even baked a pie."

"You baked a pie?"

She laughed. "Yes. I can do plenty of things besides take care of babies."

I smiled and looked back at Naomi. "Can I have some pie?"

---

Alex was quiet for most of the evening after his mother left. When we went out to finish eating, Alex wasn't there. Ty said he was outside trying to calm down. No one said anything more about what happened after that.

Just as I knew I would, I got my pie after finishing my food. And, just as Naomi had told Emily, I was full after my small bowl of food. I managed to eat most of my pie before I got tired from all the good food I'd eaten.

Naomi helped Monica clean the table off before telling her it was time for us to go. She wanted to get both me and Cooper home and give Alex a chance to calm down on his own.

Cooper was asleep when Naomi put him in the car. She lifted me into my seat and buckled me in. She gave me a pacifier and a quick kiss on my forehead before she shut the door. Both she and Alex were silent on the ride home. Even the radio was turned off.

I knew Naomi was fine to just forget about everything and move past it. She'd deal with her emotions in private. I was fine to just forget about it, too. But I wasn't sure Alex wanted to ignore what happened.

When we got home, Alex took Cooper and went into the house without a word. His eyebrows were furrowed and he looked deep in thought. And angry. I wasn't about to make him madder by saying anything so I just patiently waited for Naomi to get me out of my car seat.

She sighed as she opened my door. "He'll be okay. I think he just needs some time."

"Do you think I can help?"

She started unbuckling me. "How about we get you a bath and then maybe we'll talk to him?

I nodded and reached out for her. She lifted me out of the car and carried me on her hip as she walked into the house.

---

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! If you celebrate, I hope you enjoy the holiday and if not, I hope you enjoy your weekend.