50

The doctor who was going to help Naomi was already waiting for us when we pulled up to the lab. Naomi looked like she was ready to jump out of the car if she were able to do so. I had a feeling she wanted nothing more than to get the baby out.

Alex helped her into a wheelchair before he spoke to the doctor. She glanced at the car before she took Naomi inside.

Alex walked to my door and reached in for the bag they had packed for Naomi. "You'll have to wait inside until Monica gets here."

I reached back into my car seat and grabbed my bear before he could shut the door. I held him to my chest as I leaned into Alex, hoping to keep the cold air from blowing on my face.

"If everything goes according to plan, we should only be here about two days."

"According to plan?"

"If things run smoothly. No complications or hiccups."

I nodded. I knew next to nothing about labor and babies so I was just as clueless as he was. I, too, was hoping for the best for Naomi and the baby.

"I'll keep in touch with Mon so she knows what's going on. I know you'll want to go home as soon as you can."

"Not if it means I have to deal with a crying baby keeping me up at night."

"We already have that problem with you." His lips curved into a smile as he entered the doors and into a waiting area. It was empty with only half the lights lit overhead.

I rolled my eyes and held tight to my bear as he set me down in one of the chairs.

"I have to go with Naomi. Monica should be here soon. I need you to stay here and wait for her." I could tell that Alex wanted to get to Naomi. I was just getting in the way and holding him up.

As much as I wanted him to stay with me, I knew I couldn't be selfish and ask that of him. I nodded as I settled back in the chair.

"Be good for Monica."

I smiled at his words. He knew me too well.

Before he could rush off, I stopped him, calling out his name so he would stay for just another second.

I reached my arms up and hugged him once he lifted me just enough that I could reach his neck. Everything was about to change and I just needed one last second with him before it did.

I let go and reached for my bear once more. "Okay, go. Naomi can't do this on her own."

He nodded and a look of fear came over his features. "Right. Bye, Lyla."

Monica and Ty got to the lab several minutes after Alex disappeared down the hallway. It was silent in the waiting room so when the doors slid open, it caused me to jump.

Monica smiled at me as she pushed her wheelchair over to me. "Hey, Lyla. How's Naomi doing?"

I shrugged. "No one's telling me anything."

She gave me a sad smile before she patted my arm. "It's okay, Lyla. I'm going to go see how they're doing before we go."

I watched as she headed off down the hallway, leaving me with Ty. He took a seat beside me and tried holding back a yawn.

"I'm sure you're ready to get back to bed."

"I think you are, too."

He smiled and let his head fall back to rest on the back of the chair. "Is it that obvious?"

"It's really late."

"Babies don't come when it's convenient."

I looked over at him. I knew that things would work out with the new baby. I knew I'd eventually get used to him being around. But I knew it would take some time for both me and for Naomi and Alex. Aside from me, this was their first chance at raising a baby and having it around 24/7. Those instincts didn't come in overnight or all at once.

"Lyla, are you ready to head home? You need to get to bed." Monica pushed her wheelchair to us.

I reached out for her and let her lift me onto her lap. "Is Naomi gonna be okay?"

"Yeah, Lyla, why wouldn't she be?"

I looked at her with raised eyebrows.

She shook her head. "Lyla, she's going to be fine. I have faith in our staff here that they'll take good care of her and the baby."

"After everything I've been through and you're going to say that?"

"I think you sometimes forget that my father used to run this hospital and that I still work here. We're not bad people, Lyla, and I wish you would stop insisting that we were."

"Okay, but-"

She looked at Ty and he got to his feet. He walked to the back of her wheelchair and started pushing her, and me, toward the parking lot. "We're not having this discussion. Not now and not again. And I really hope you aren't bringing this up with Alex. He doesn't need to hear this."

I looked away and watched as we moved closer and closer to a large black SUV. I wasn't sure if it was Monica's or Ty's but it looked really nice. Clearly, whoever owned it had money.

Monica didn't say anything more as we approached the car. She handed a set of keys to Ty and watched as he ran from the SUV to Alex's car. I wasn't sure what was going on until he lifted my car seat out of the car and carried it back to us.

It wasn't long before I was in my car seat, facing the back of the car. I hoped and prayed Monica wouldn't be mad at me the entire time I was with her. I always thought of her as the fun aunt but maybe she was tired of me already. That didn't sit well with me but it was too late to change the plans now. Alex had already told his mom she didn't need to babysit anymore.

I let my head fall back on the seat behind me. It was going to be a long few days. I could just tell.

---

What do you think of Monica's outburst? Lyla definitely needs a good hit of reality. I'm sure I'd be the same way if I were in her situation, to be honest. How would you handle all of this?