67

Cooper was still sleeping a lot. It was Christmas eve and he was curled up on Alex's chest. Alex let me find a Christmas movie to watch while I played. I could tell he wasn't interested in watching it but he didn't say anything.

I was working on building a bridge for my cars to go under. I managed to get the bridge built with just enough space at the bottom for the car to go through. I was working on getting the top part built up so it looked like buildings on either side but I couldn't get some of my pieces apart to use them in different ways. Whenever I played last, I must have really jammed them together.

I groaned and sat back on my heels. There was no way I was getting those blocks apart on my own.

I crawled over to the couch and held out the blocks to Alex. "Can you help me?"

Keeping one hand on the baby, he reached out and took the blocks. He separated them relatively quickly and handed both pieces back to me.

I sighed. "Thanks."

He watched me as I crawled back over to my collection of blocks. "Why are you in a bad mood? It's almost Christmas. You should be happy."

I slumped down where I was and set the blocks in my hands on the floor in front of me. "I think I miss being in school. Ms. Diane always played with the blocks with me."

"I can play with you. That way you aren't alone."

I rolled my eyes at him. "It's not the same."

"Don't say I didn't try."

"Thanks, but I think I'll play by myself for a while. I should be used to it by now."

"Just wait until you see all the toys you and Cooper are getting tomorrow."

I raised my eyes as a slow grin spread on my face. "Oh, really? Like what? Give me a hint."

"Nice try. You won't get that out of me easily."

"If I pinch you hard enough, will that work?"

Naomi walked into the room and walked over to where I was. "Lyla, no pinching daddy. That's not very nice."

I stuck my tongue out at Alex as he grinned at me. From behind me, Naomi picked me up in her arms.

"Come on, Alex. Dinner's ready."

"Mommy, can I stay up and watch another movie before bed?"

"After dinner, you have to get a bath. I don't know if we'll have enough time for a movie tonight."

I frowned. "But it's Christmas."

"Exactly. And that means you have to get to bed early so Santa can come and bring your presents."

I rolled my eyes. "I know Santa isn't real."

"If he's not real then how are you going to get presents?"

"That's what you're for."

She laughed. "Right. See how well that works out for you tomorrow if Santa doesn't bring any presents because he doesn't exist."

"That means you and Alex don't love us enough to give us anything."

She patted my butt before she put me in my high chair. "You're funny, Lyla."

I looked at all the food on the table as Naomi buckled me in my high chair and took a deep breath from my nose. She made a lot more than she normally did. There was chicken wrapped with what looked like bacon, buttered noodles, fancy green beans, sweet potatoes, rolls, and gravy to go with it all. "This looks really good, mommy."

She kissed the top of my head. "Thanks, baby. My mom used to make us a really nice meal on Christmas Eve and I've kept it going ever since."

"I like that."

Alex walked in and slid an arm around her back to hug her. "You didn't have to do all this. Lyla and I lived off chicken nuggets and french fries for a long time before you and I started dating."

"Which is exactly why I had to do this. You guys need healthy foods, not fried stuff."

"We survived."

She rolled her eyes and sat down in her chair. "Well now that you have me, I can cook you all sorts of healthy meals and foods."

"I can't wait." I said under my breath as I reached for my sippy cup.

Naomi shook her head and put small portions of food onto my plate. "I'll make sure you get extra vegetables for that one."

Alex laughed.

"Don't think you get a pass on this. You encouraged this by giving her the bad stuff."

"Hey, she's not complaining."

Naomi looked between the two of us and I could tell she was trying to hold back a laugh. "You two are really something."

"You love us."

"I really do."