77

Monica was arriving at the lab at the same time we pulled into the parking lot. Daddy had laid the passenger seat back and set me in it, forgoing my car seat altogether. I was sure it was because he wanted to keep an eye on me while he was driving and it was easier with me up front than in the back.

She got out of her car and came over to where we were, all the while Daddy and her were walking toward the building. "Any changes?"

"Nothing that I can see."

"Let's get the CT scan first and see if it tells us anything. I'm sure it's something to do with her brain before it has anything to do with her body."

Daddy nodded. "It shouldn't be. I just... I'm worried that the medications I gave her when she was younger are..."

Monica pushed the door open and held it for Daddy. "You never tested it on anyone?"

"Not the specific ones I used on Lyla. Megan was my first test that was successful but she didn't get the same medications I gave Lyla. Her's were more intense than what I gave Lyla."

"Did you consider giving Lyla what you gave Megan? If it will keep her alive-"

"She wouldn't want that." He looked down at me as they made their way through the halls and to the exam rooms. "She already hated what I did to her as it is."

"I don't think now is the time to think about that. It's life or death, Alex. She would understand."

Daddy pursed his lips, contemplating what his options were.

"She's already under the premise that she won't be aging again. I doubt freezing her completely will affect her."

"If I can avoid that, I will."

"What other options are there?"

"There was a doctor who created a reverse medication for those who were forced to become infants. It's a slow aging process but I think we could speed things up and get Lyla there faster."

Monica looked at Daddy, surprised to hear this from him. Typically, those in Alpine didn't discuss aging. It wasn't something that was promoted let alone encouraged. She never expected it from Daddy. "And you're sure you can do this?"

Daddy exhaled. "I don't know. I'm not even sure it will work but I have to try. I need to do this for Lyla."

Monica unlocked the door with her key badge and flipped the lights on. "Get her on the table. Make sure she doesn't have any jewelry on or anything in her hair."

Daddy set me on the flat surface and began to check my body and clothes for anything metal. He pulled my pacifier clip from my shirt and shoved it into his pocket. He brushed my hair from my face before he stepped back and let Monica get everything ready for the scan.

---

After the scan was completed, Daddy carried me to one of the rooms with a bed and laid me down in it. He undressed me and changed me into a hospital gown. He took off my diaper and replaced it with a catheter, making sure I wouldn't be uncomfortable in my comatose state.

Aunt Monica set up an IV with fluids to my left and added an oxygen tester thing to my finger so they could keep an eye on my important vitals.

They were nearly done when Mommy walked into the room. She had stopped crying and looked like she had held it together after her initial breakdown. She pulled a chair away from the wall and moved it up against the right side of the bed I was laying in.

Her eyes were on me as she spoke to Daddy. "Did you figure out what the problem is?"

Aunt Monica wrote something down on a piece of paper attached to a clipboard she held in her hands. "Alex believes she is reacting negatively to the medication he gave her that turned her into an infant. The plan is to reverse the effects and bring Lyla back to her previous state."

"Of being a sixteen-year-old? Is that possible?"

"We're not sure but I have to try it. Our options aren't great. That's why I'd like to start here before I try anything else," Daddy said.

"And what if this doesn't work? Won't it... hurt her?"

"I can't say it won't but it's possible."

"Alex, we can't just... test things on her. She could die."

"This is our only option, Naomi. If we don't try this, she could stay in a coma forever. Is that really better than death?"

Aunt Monica stepped in front of Daddy and put a hand on his chest. "Alex, stop. Now is not the time to be arguing. Lyla needs you right now. Go figure out what you're going to do. The faster, the better. Naomi and I are going to stay here and keep an eye on Lyla in case there are any changes."

Daddy started to open his mouth and speak but Aunt Monica held up a finger and silenced him.

"Alex, so help me. If you don't do as I say, I'll take over this whole operation myself."

Daddy shook his head. "Fine. I'm leaving. Call me if you need anything."

"We'll be fine, Alex. Just go and work on helping Lyla."

Daddy took a deep breath to calm himself down before he left the room, not knowing if his plan was going to work. He only knew that he had to try. For Lyla.