49

When Naomi said the baby would come any day, I wasn't expecting it to be just days after our talk.

I was asleep in my room when the hallway light turned on. Naomi and Alex's hushed voices filled my room.

I opened my eyes and immediately winced at the brightness of the light. I was used to the nightlight taking away some of the brightness but the hall light was too bright. I wasn't going to sleep through that.

I rolled onto my other side and pulled my bear to my chest. Not even a minute later, Alex came into my room and flipped the light on.

A groan escaped my lips and I turned my face into my pillow. "Are you crazy?"

"We have to go, Lyla."

"Why? Is someone dying?"

I heard a huff come from him as he filled my diaper bag. "Lyla... Naomi's in labor."

Oh. Oh. No wonder they were so frantic.

I pushed myself up onto my knees and sat back on my heels. Alex went from my dresser to the changing table.

"Can you check your bag to make sure I got everything? I need to check on Naomi?" He walked over to the crib and lowered the side facing him. He lifted me out and set me on the carpet.

I watched him leave the room before I looked down at the large duffle bag in front of me. My diaper bag sat beside it and looked like it was overflowing. Clearly, he'd never packed for an overnight stay for a baby. The duffle bag had several outfits but was missing pajamas.

I looked at my dresser and groaned. I couldn't stand on my feet so there was no way I'd be able to reach the drawer with my night clothes. Stupid Alex...

Speaking of him, he came into the room again and walked to my crib. He grabbed my blanket and bunny and put them into the top of the duffle bag. "Everything look good?"

"I need pajamas. You didn't pack anything for me to sleep in."

He frowned. "I guess I forgot you'd be spending the night."

I rolled my eyes at him.

"Did you put any in the bag?"

"Um no? I can't even reach the drawer."

He sighed and walked over to the dresser. He riffled through the neatly folded outfits, unfolding them and messing them up as he looked for several things to pack. "This wouldn't be a problem if..."

"It wouldn't be a problem if you hadn't kidnapped me from my parents. You know, you make it so easy for me to remind you of your past mistakes."

He pinched the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger and I began to worry that I'd crossed a line. Reminding someone of their screw-ups time after time only left them feeling defeated. I felt terrible for bringing it up so much but it was also the reason I was messed up.

He turned around to face me and leaned against the dresser. "I know I've fucked up, Lyla. You can't imagine how sorry I am. I don't want to make those same mistakes with this baby. So... if there's anything I can do to make things right with you, then please tell me."

My eyes widened a bit as I realized what he was asking. I crawled over to him and reached up for him. I waited until he'd picked me up and was holding me before I spoke. "I have one favor and then I'll cool it."

"Anything."

"Can I stay with Monica instead of your mom? I don't think I could take a couple of days in a row with her."

"We've already made plans for you to stay with her. I don't think Monica is exactly ready to have you over for a sleepover just yet."

"Can you call and ask her? She likes me so maybe she'll say yes."

He shook his head but had a smile on his face. "I'll call her but if she says no then you're going to my mom's."

I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him. "Thanks, Alex."

"Maybe you should call me daddy instead. I've read that it helps with new babies so they get used to the names."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't press your luck."

By the time we were able to call Monica, we were in the car and on the way to the hospital. Naomi was in the passenger seat, sweat pooling on her face and the top of her shirt. I'd never seen a woman in labor before and it scared me a bit at how anxious she was.

Alex turned the volume of the car stereo up as he waited for Monica to answer her phone. When she did, her voice was groggy and it was clear we'd woken her up.

"Hello?"

"Mon, it's me. Naomi's in labor."

"Did you call Peyton?"

"She was the first call we made. She's meeting us at the lab."

"Then why are you calling me?"

"I have a favor to ask."

She groaned. "At two in the morning? What kind of favor could you possibly need this early in the morning?"

"I'd originally asked mom to watch Lyla but now she doesn't want to go. Would you mind watching her for a few days? She'll need dropped off at school in the mornings and picked up in the afternoon but she won't be too bad for you."

"Is she okay with Ty being around?"

I wasn't familiar with Ty yet but if Alex trusted him, I knew I could be comfortable with him. Or, at the very least, I could try.

"As long as you're there, she'll be okay."

Okay. But if she misbehaves, I'm calling mom to come to get her."

Alex chuckled. "I'll make sure to tell her that."

"Do you want us to meet you there?"

"Please. I don't want to make Naomi wait."

"I'd appreciate that." Naomi's voice was strained and I felt for her. I couldn't imagine going into labor and dealing with the pain she was going through.

"We'll be there soon."

---

Is anyone else nervous to meet this new baby? How do you guys think Lyla will handle not being a single child anymore?