Fourteen-shots fired..

John's POV

I watched Ben shoot Mai. Rage filled my body immediately, she's like a sister to me, she's the closest person I have. I lost it. I lifted my gun and shot Ben in the head.
I just killed my first person, and it was my teammate. Sure I've shot people before but never killed them. I immediately felt a wave of guilt flow through me. But as I looked down at Mai, it disappeared instantly.
I quickly sprang into action, ripping my shirt off and holding it down firmly on Mai's chest to stop the bleeding. "I've just phoned the medical team." Jos told me in tears, kneeling down beside me.  Our medical team are better than any hospital we could take Mai to, this is the best chance she's got.  I looked down at her feeling hot tears drop down my face.
I looked to my left and Max was holding onto Mai's hand sobbing loudly.

Around 5 minutes later the medical team arrived. I picked Mai up bridal style, and ran with her in my arms to the medical room. Placing her gently on the operating table. Jos and Max following me. Jos told Southgate to go and speak to the England team and that they had to stay in the party room for the time being.

Mason's POV

We all stood there in shock at what just happened. I was on an emotional rollercoaster. The girl I love just told me she's part of the mafia, and shot about 8 men in front of me. What. The. Hell. I can't believe she kept this from me! But then she also told me she loved me... for the first time, before she passed out. What if she doesn't make it, what if I never get to tell her I love her? I started silently crying to myself as Southgate walked back into the room.
"Boys I have to explain some things to you." He said as he started walking towards us, a worried expression on his face.
"So you all remember that penalty I missed back in 1996?" We nodded confused at where he was going with this. "Well Ben's dad, Marcus lost a whole load of money because of it and placed a bounty on my head. Someone tried to kill me but Jos was there and shot them before they could reach me. He offered me  a job, to become part of a protected family and learn how to protect myself, I accepted." He said, before Pickford interrupted. "So you're telling us you were part of the mafia too?" He questioned, his eyes wide in shock.
"Yes boys I was part of the mafia, most people are involved in some way, even royals." He replied. "They aren't bad people, in fact they have made England a better place. Marcus and his son Ben however are bad people, Ben has tried to kill Mai several times, each time she hasn't wanted to retaliate and has begged all of us not to hurt him... I guess he went too far for John to take this time." He finished. Silence.

"Well I guess it is kinda badass how she took out all those guys." Jesse suddenly said to the group.  "Yeh I suppose it was, I'm just annoyed she kept this from me." I replied. "Well Mase she has to make sure she can trust you fully, as it got her in a bad place with Ben... plus she wanted to keep you safe, away from all the danger she has around her." Gareth told me.  It's all starting to make sense now, all the secrecy with John, and then that chat with Gareth. "I don't care about danger, I care about her!" I said slamming my fist on the wall and starting to walk in the direction she was. "Mase wait, I'm sorry Jos told me to keep you all here." Gareth told me grabbing my arm. "I have to see her Gareth! I have to know if she's okay!" I shouted at him. "Look Mase I will go and ask Jos, since your her boyfriend he might let you in. Wait here." He instructed me as he walked away.

"This is fucking mental!" Declan spoke up. "I know right, and I thought Pickford was the most likely to be in the mafia." Maguire added, trying to lighten the mood. A few chuckles were heard in reply. "Are you okay Mase?" Jack asked me, putting his arm over my shoulders. "Not really man, my girlfriend got shot, and i can't even see her!" I said, yelling the last part. "Calm down Mase, Charles just told me they have the best doctors in the world in there, I'm sure she will be okay." He told me, trying to soothe me.

Just then Gareth returned. "Mase, you can come see her they have taken the bullet out and are bandaging her up now." He told me, grabbing my arm and leading me out.

He led me down a long empty corridor, seemingly going on for miles. Until he stopped outside of a plain white door. "She doenst look great Mase, so be prepared." He told me. I just nodded in return.

I pushed open the white door. Mai lay unconscious on a white bed in the middle of the room. Covered in bandages, and wires attached to various places of her body. John was sat to one side of her holding her hand, with his head face down on the bed. Jos and Max stood on the other. Jos was stroking her head, while Max held her other hand.
All four of us had tears streaming down our faces. "I never wanted her to end up like her mum." Jos told us in-between sniffles. "My mum died 10 years ago, shot by Marcus." Max told me, looking up through his watery eyes. "I'm sorry" I croaked out. "She still lives with me so I could protect her... but I couldn't even protect her whilst here." Jos wailed. Max hugged his dad, the two of them crying into each others arms.

As I walked forward and reached the end of the bed John looked up at me, pain prominent across his face.  I looked at Mai again. Her usual sparkling eyes were shut. Her perfect smile, no longer present. She lay emotionless, eyes closed and flat on her back. I walked up to her sitting next to John. I leaned forward and planted a kiss on her forehead. "I love you too." I whispered in her ear.

Mai's POV

"I love you too" I heard a whisper. It startled me. As I looked around to see where it came from. I found I was in my childhood home. I walked into the kitchen a figure was stood at the counter making a drink. "Hello?" I questioned the person. They turned around looking at me, eyes wide. "Mum?" I questioned, my eyes beginning to water as I ran over to her, engulfing her in a hug. "My darling Mai, I have missed you so much baby." She told me, holding my body closely to hers.  We stood hugging for what felt like hours.

"Where am I mum, am I dead?" I sniffled. "Darling you had a bad accident....but no you are not dead, and you need to return back to dad and your brother." She told me. "But I just got you back." I whispered. Holding her tighter. Squeezing my eyes shut to stop the tears threatening to pour out. "I will be here waiting for you when the time is right sweetheart." She told me, smiling slowly. "But now is not your time." She told me. I felt myself being dragged backwards away from her. "NO, MUM COME BACK!" I screamed, reaching out for her, trying to get back. She stood in the doorway, her brown hair flowing effortlessly over her shoulders. "I love you Mai, never forget that." She told me smiling, looking at me with watery eyes. "I love you too mum." I said back to her, as I was dragged out of the room and met with a flooding bright white light, stinging my eyes.

Authors note- ahhh World Cup line up was announced today!!