Eighteen- ...as in Jos Verstappen?

Mai's POV

Mase finally joined me and his parents who were waiting out the front. "Jaz had to go darling, Summer was getting tired. So it's just us." Debbie told her son. He nodded in reply understanding.
"We will go in Mai's car mum, why don't you and dad follow behind us." He told her. "Sounds good darling." She replied smiling and walking to the car with Tony.

We jumped in my car ready to drive off, checking Mason's parents were behind us. "So it seems I was right, my parents and sister really love you!" Mase said smirking at me. "I love them too Mase, they are so lovely! I replied, a smile forming on my face. "My sister let you hold Summer... she never lets anyone outside of family hold her." Mase said, surprise evident in his tone. "Really? It's probably just because her arms were tired." I replied, turning the radio on and singing along. I noticed Mase staring at me from the corner of my eye. "You good Mase?" I said giggling. "You have an amazing voice!" He replied, making my cheeks turn a light pink. "Oh stop it." I said, flapping a hand at him.

Minutes later we pulled up at the steakhouse, and waited out the front for Debbie and Tony. When they joined us we went inside and got a table.
"So Mai tell me about yourself." Debbie said, looking up from her menu. "Well I'm an ex racer, now a model and influencer. My brother Max is an F1 driver and my father, Jos is a businessman." I told her. "Wait Jos... as in Jos Verstappen?" She questioned. A weird look on her face. "Um, yeh I'm Mai Verstappen." I replied, looking at Mason confused.

"We know your dad darling..." she started. "..and we know who you are too." She added. My breathing quickened, as I started panicking. "We know you're part of the mafia Mai." She stated. 
Seeing the expression on my face, and my mouth open, trying to think of something to say, Debbie started speaking again. "Years ago, before you two were even born, your father and I got into some trouble." She admitted, looking at Mason, who like me, had a confused look on his face.
She looked at both of us and carried on speaking. "We were walking by the park late one night, when we witnessed a shooting. I think his name was Marcus.." she trailed off, pursing her lips and placing a hand on her chin thoughtfully. "He had sent people to kill a man... we saw a man trying to shoot a tall slender man wearing a football shirt. He had noticed we had seen, and dragged us over, holding all three of us at gun point. I really thought that was the time we were going to die." She said pausing, as tears welled in her eyes.

"Then suddenly, another man appeared from the shadows and shot him first. That man was your father Mai.
He made sure we were all okay, and gave us his phone number incase we were ever in trouble. He told us who he was, as he walked us and that other man back home." She told me.

Suddenly realisation hit. "That other man was Southgate.." I whispered, without looking up. "Oh my, i always thought your coach looked familiar Mase!" She told him, a small smile appearing across her face. Mase retuned the smile, squeezing my hand slightly. I looked up making eye contact with Debbie. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you Debbie... and I understand if you hate me." I told her, moving my head back down and looking back at the floor.

"Darling we don't hate you! Far from it actually, we have kept in contact with your dad over the years. He was ALWAYS checking up on us." She said, jokingly rolling her eyes at the last part. "In fact, it makes us a bit more comfortable, because we know the lengths your dad will go to to protect the ones around him. He had security come stay outside our house for two months after the incident. So we know Mase is safe with you guys." She finished, standing up and walking around the table to comfort me. I hugged her, burying my face in her shoulder, so no one would see the tears that threatened to fall down my face. "I'm so glad you already know.. I was dreading telling you one day." I slowly told them. Releasing myself from the hug. "Well now you don't have to!" Tony told me chuckling. I looked at Mase, who shot me a comforting smile. Which I returned. "I can't believe Southgate never told me!" Mase exclaimed, pouting, while the rest of us chuckled.