Sonia Nevermind : Insecure

A small sigh left your lips as you passed by the bathroom mirror. Did you always look like this? How could people even handle being with you? What did they think of you?

You bit your bottom lip and wiped the lipstick off your face. The dark red smudged onto your skin. Irritated, you attempted to wipe the rest off but only smudged more of it off in the process.

Before you knew it, your attention was drawn to your hair. Why was it always frizzy? Why couldn't it just behave or some shit? You quickly turned on the faucet and stuck your hand underneath. With your face close to the mirror, you attempted to try to control your baby hairs to no avail. They sprung back up again much to your disappointment.

"Fuck...." You muttered as some of the water made it's was to your eye. Without thinking, you wiped causing your black eyeliner to smudge. "No....no..." You frowned as you rubbed it off.

"Why can't i----" you turned away from the mirror and sighed. What would it take to look like all the models online. Why couldn't you have their body? Their looks? Why were they so perfect?

Each night, each morning, you told yourself affirmation to try and get yourself to look like them. You wrote down everything you wanted on paper. How you wanted to have a slim face and a flat stomach. How you wanted defined cheek bones and silky hair but nothing changed. It had been months and you looked the exact same. Were you cursed? You thought you were cursed because nothing ever seemed to happen to you.

As your insecurities began to eat away at you, you hugged your body and prayed that everyone had already left the school. You felt shame. You were crying in a school bathroom because of who you were. To you, it was pathetic.

"Y/n?" A soft voice asks. The door slammed shut as the female began to make her way towards you.

Out in instinct, you covered your face and turned away, "Not to be rude but can you leave? Actually--- I can leave. Don't worry about it." You jumped off the sink and looked away as you tried to walk out of the bathroom.

Sonia grabbed onto your arm and pulled you back, "Y/n, you're not okay and I know that. Please, tell me what's wrong. I may be of services."

Your body tensed up. How could she understand? Sonia, she was perfect on every way. She had a beautiful personality and an even more beautiful body.  She's the type of girl you'd add to your pinterest board of people you want to look like.

At the same time, she was one of your best friends. Since day one, she's stuck by your side and has gained your trust. She makes you laugh and forget everything you don't like about yourself.

Distracted, the blonde turned you to her and cupped your face. She wiped away your tears and gave you a gentle smile, "Tell me what's wrong." Her soft tone brought you to ease.

"Sonia, I don't really like anything about me." It felt so nice to finally get it out. 

"Y/n, you can't see what you look like on the outside. You're perfect, I can assure you that. You have a beautiful smile and an even more attractive face. You're talented in so many thing and you're a brilliant person. I can go over everything about that people adore but I know saying all that won't make you believe it." She grabbed onto your hand and pulled you to the mirror. She stood behind you and began to wipe away all the smudged make up. When she finished, she lifted your chin up and smiled at you. "Can you smile for me?"

Your mouth twitched as you formed an awkward smile. Sonia rolled her eyes and began to tickle your stomach making laughter erupt form your lips. Her eyes brightened as you smiled widely. 

"Did you see that? I saw something that could brighten anyone's day. " She clasped her hands together and giggled. 

The corner of your lip lifted as you began to look at yourself. You didn't like everything you saw but maybe there was a smile chance you had a nice smile. 

"You have lovely eyes, why not focus on that."

You did as she said and put all your focus on them. They weren't that bad but you still thought they would look cooler with eyeliner. 

"How about we go somewhere to eat! Anywhere you want! And maybe we could head to the store and go shopping for some clothes that you like on yourself!" 

"Yeah," You smiled softly. "I'd like that.

It was going to take a while until you learned to love yourself but today you would start to learn. Today was going to be the start of something new. 

-----

UP NEXT: