Not the Artist

-NOT THE ARTIST-

-NOT THE ARTIST-

Looking in the mirror, I saw my bedhead mess of strawberry blonde curls and smeared mascara.

"Great." I muttered, trying to run a finger through it. Looking around my room, I saw drawings. Everyone always thought I was talented at drawing, but it was more Clary's thing.

"Rea!" I turned to the door and my mom stood with a smile on her face. "Clary's gone to the art place. Want to get dinner?"

"Sorry, mom." I apologised, giving her a warm smile. I loved my mom, but she was overbearing. Clary was the artist and I was the younger sister that got sent to martial art, boxing and self defence classes. "I promised Lew I would hang out with him today."

"No, yeah, I get it." She gave me a smile and a hug, jokingly gagging as she pulled away. "Get your hair under control!"

I laughed, of course, and nodded.

"Will do." I saluted her as she left my room, smiling before she completely disappeared. "Alright, Rena, you can do this."

I grabbed my brush and worked my way through the tangled curls before it was smooth and rested past my shoulders. Good. I then sat at my vanity dresser and started on my makeup.

Once finished I walked to my wardrobe and picked out my outfit. It consisted of a black skirt that ended mid thigh. A grey crop top and a leather jacket. I brushed my hair once more before walking to the bathroom and cleaning my teeth.

"Rea! Answer your phone!" I looked at my phone, as mom had said, and realised Simon had tried phoning several times. "He keeps phoning me now!"

"Sorry, mom!" I dialed Simon's number and put the phone to my ear, gurgling on the mouthwash before spitting it out.

"I thought you died!" I heard the frantic voice of my best friend through the phone.

"Don't be the dramatic type. It doesn't suit you." Me and Simon laughed and I walked out the bathroom, mouthing a bye to my mom as I picked up my black bag and put my purse in it. She quickly jogged to me, placing the knife with the cover into it. I scoffed quietly and shrugged her off as she tried to place something else into it. "Mom, stop. I'll be fine."

"Look, come to our café, I'll meet you there for Clary." Simon said and I nodded.

"Yeah, sure. See you soon, Si." The call ended and I waved by to my mom, then to Luke - who was just about to walk through the door. I walked through the streets if Brooklyn until the familiar little café came into sight. I smiled to myself before walking inside, spotting Simon sitting and waiting eagerly.