Maybe We're Soulmates

-MAYBE WE'RE SOULMATES-

●♤♤●

"Natural order?" Clary asked, as if it were the most absurd thing she had ever heard. "What are you saying?"

"I can help." Izzy exclaimed, desperate to help. I just watched the interaction happen, keeping my mouth shut. "I know how to talk to Seelies."

"She's right. She can visit with Meliorn and see what he knows. I could go with her if you want." Alec offered and I pouted a little. He didn't see, though.

"I'd rather Jace goes along this time. Alec, you stay with the Fairchild girls. I want her-" Maryse pointed at Clary. "-under control. She's caused enough trouble already." Maryse's words seemed to piss Clary off, though.

"Maybe that's because I wasn't even a Shadowhunter until a few days ago!" She practically screamed.

"And what an exciting few days it has been. The Clave counts on us Lightwoods, and one day Verena, to maintain order here." Maryse gave me a look, a knowing one, before switching her gaze between me and Alec.

I get what she meant, but why was she insinuating it?

Yeah...I like Alec?

There a possibility he likes me back. So what?

"You don't need to tell me that. If the mission is important to the Clave, I would prefer to be the one who goes with Isabelle." Alec urged. He wanted to either be with his sister or away from Clary and, maybe, me. But, I don't think I am included in that because he is standing so close to me.

"You're all so eager to do what you would prefer." Maryse sneered before calming herself slightly, regaining her composure. "It's time to face the truth. Life is not about what you want to do, it's about what must be done. I have given you your assignments, now carry them out." She then turned to Izzy and Jace. "You and you, with me, now." Alec interlocked my hand with his and I rubbed small circles onto his thumb.

"Well, that was a window into the weird. What did you do to piss off your mom?" Clary asked once Maryse, Izzy and Jace left. I glared at her, though.

"Perhaps the unsactioned missions Alec told you not to go on is the reason." I suggested and she just huffed, glaring at me.

●♧♧●

I was with Jace in an Elevator. I had left Rena a little bit ago to sort something out and say a quick bye to Izzy and Jace.