An Unwanted Call

“So,this guy....is he...”my mom began,but I already knew where this was headed so I interrupted her before she could say anything.

“No mom,he is not cute,hot or any other term of attractive that you can come up with,he is not even good looking and honestly he is kind of annoying” I said growing irritated with the topic of Chris.

Earlier that evening I had come home to find my mom back from a conference she had gone away for, she has many of these but usually doesn't return for at least a few weeks so you can imagine my surprise when I saw her standing in the kitchen baking cookies.

My mother,Alice Evans is a surgeon and is most of the times away. But every time she is at home we catch up on everything and she is the most amazing mom to me,although I have grown up pretty much on my own,she has always been there whenever I need her.Every single time....well except one,but it was because I didn't tell her about it...I didn't want to even think about it.

“So he's gorgeous?” my mom asked taking a bite of her chicken roast.
We were at the dinner table and she was taking out all the details of my life she had missed out on in the last three weeks that she was away.

Also she wanted to know why exactly I had come home dripping on her precious carpet,so I proceeded to tell her everything that happened in the past week,except she seemed to have only heard the part where I somehow had mentioned about girls drooling over the new boy that was Chris.

I obviously edited out the part where I went to take revenge and ended up having a shower with the guy.

Okay that sounded way worse than it should, besides my mom would give me a lecture about how replying to fire with fire will end up burning me. So yea...I definitely shouldn't bring that up.
I just told her that gym somehow turned into this water fight in the girls locker room and I ended up spoiling my clothes.

Thankfully or not so thankfully she was still stuck at how good looking Chris is ,to ask any further questions.
“No mom, no” I say stuffing my mouth with mashed potatoes fully aware that she is going to disregard what I just said anyway.

“So ..you like him?” I practically choked on my food and had to drink the entire glass of water in front of me to finally swallow it.
Trust my mom to get a wrong signal....so very wrong. Either she was that oblivious (which I know she isn't ) or she is up to something.

“How'd you guess? Was it the calling him bad looking part or the general crap I was talking about him that gave me away?” I ask sarcasm dripping from each word.

My mom rolled her eyes as she cleared the table taking the now empty dishes to the sink.

“I'd say it was just the fact that in what seems like a very long time you have spoken of anyone other that Emma and Matty”

I got up and went to help my mom with the dishes drying them once mom had scrubbed and washed them.

“I do talk about people other than Em and Matt mom” I say defensively.

“Really Sam? Name one”
I place the last plate on the counter  after drying it and turn to face my mom.

“Um...didn't I tell you just last to last week when you called, about my creative writing classmate ..umm serra?” I ask

My mom opens the oven and pulls out a tray of cookies she had baked earlier that evening and shakes her head.
“One,her name was sierra and two,you told me she was constantly trying to become your friend and annoying the life out of you,so I don't exactly see your friendship or love for her”

I sighed.
“You asked about talking about other people not becoming friends with them”I say grabbing a few cookies and turning around to head upstairs.