Healing Together

Thanks once again damn-daniel for the cover.

"You are going to have to go talk to him at some point you know?"
Chris, who I had somehow talked out of punching Matty, said as we sat outside Max's house on the wraparound porch.

He had somewhat sobered up and was trying really hard not to look sick. But his bruised lips and red eyes were not helping.

The music was back on in full blast inside and everyone had gone to dominate the dance floor once again.

Matty was now a part of that "everyone".

He didn't say anything after his loud comment and was now somewhere inside doing god knows what, with god knows who.

"Sam? "Chris voice was soft, laced with concern and I wanted to reply,I really did,but I was waiting.
Waiting for the pain to hit.

The tears to come,
The regret to fill my veins,
Because it was after all me who had pushed him so far away, that my best friend was no longer there.

I was also waiting for Matty, I think.
Yeah. That's probably why my feet carried me out here in the cold, it was hope.

Hope, that maybe... Just maybe, he said what he said for a reason.
And like always he would follow me out and explain everything.

That he would be my rock again.

But apparently that just happens in sappy novels and crappy movies,because Matty wasn't coming back. At least not to me.

I sent Emma and Amy back when they tried to follow me, but Chris would not listen and it was like I didn't have any strength left to push him away too.

So I let him sit there. Quiet. Not saying anything as I just stared of into the dark night.

After a few more minutes of silence he started speaking again.

"You know... I think we should go to India, for our honeymoon of course... I've heard it's a beautiful country"

I looked over, taken aback by his statement.

"What?"

"Yeah, it's supposed to be this colourful, bustling with people and life kind of place. That's just perfect isn't it? And I know how much you love spicy food"

I just continue staring at him, not sure how drunk he is.

Did he seriously say honeymoon?

"We could also go to Mexico.. But I don't know,how I would do there... Besides we still haven't decided if we wanna go with a church or a beach wedding "

Chris rests his head against the white marble pillar next to where we are seated and looks out at the road filled with cars and teenagers smoking or making out.

Its as I look at him that I realise what he is trying to do.

I feel the heaviness that had been building in my chest finally ease a little, for the first time since we got out, as I smile and decide to play along.

"I don't know about the beach wedding, I mean the sand would ruin my dress not to mention everyone would freeze to death in this climate"

Chris finally looks over at me, a small smile on his lips.

"Yeah, the church is more special anyway, and my mom would just love having a complete ceremony, besides I would love to see you walk down the aisle in that gorgeous dress that you drove Emma crazy looking for"