Friends?Enemies? Frenemies?

“ Ok ...was it this one?
You and Chris had a session of literal eye humping during English, after which due to 'I'mahornyteenager syndrome' you and Chris skipped the rest of the classes to have wild sex at his place”

I choke on my diet coke and give Emma my best straight face.

“ That was not even the worst one yet” Emma says going through her phone.

“ But yea, you're right, it is a little farfetched.... I mean why would you go to his house?”

Ever since Chris and I had our little get away, Fairview High has been buzzing like a BlackBerry on vibrate.

Rumors about where we went, why we went and to do what have been flying around like a G-6 .

What is more interesting is the different versions people are throwing around. Absurd. Creepy.Messed up versions.Talk about being jobless.

“ Really Emma? Me going to his house? That's whats farfetched? ” I ask.

Emma has been dying to know all about it since I came back but said she wanted to guess through the rumours whilst also checking if any of them are remotely true.

So long we have had no such luck.

“ok I have one more” Emma says completely ignoring my question her eyes squinting at her mobile screen.

Wasn't technology supposed to make everything better? Easier?
Then why was it making life harder for me?.

People who didn't know about my existence until the beginning of this year are now only talking about me and Chris.

Go out for a bite with this guy and it's all these people talk about.
I can't imagine what will happen if I do become his friend.

I mean I haven't seen him with anyone apart from the football team,which means...I'm guessing he doesn't have friends...at least in school.
Although everyone wants to be his friend.
Which is weird.

He is way to secluded for a guy as popular as him but since my latest disovery of his hidden 'good side' I'd like to think the reason for that has to have something to do with the fact that he doesn't like letting anyone in.At least that's what it looks like.

“ You and Chris realized that you'll are in love and decided to go run away but then thought of your families and came back”. Emma said getting my attention back to her.

I banged my now empty plastic cup on the cafe table and snatched Emma's cell from her hand switching it off.

“ Okay that is enough, if I hear another bullcrap star crossed lover shit story that begins with the words 'You and Chris' from your mouth I'm gonna kill myself.” I said.

Emma eyed me, as if weighing her options

“...And you” I added for good measure.

“ We both die...is that what you want?" I ask looking around the cafe.
It's like a reflex move, as soon as I start looking ...all of them look away.

Emma sighs in defeat.
“ No.”
“ Good” I said getting up from the table and pulling Emma along. If I want to tell her about yesterday it will have to be somewhere else.
I don't want some other crappy string of half truths to spread like wild fire here.

Once we are out of the cafeteria I finally feel like I can breathe We walk down the hallway and out of the main building into the feild.

There are more students here than there were inside but because of the expanse of the feild they are spread out.

I look over to the bleachers where the football jocks hang out during lunch and see Matty and Chris along with a bunch of other guys.

Chris looks pretty normal, which means he is either oblivious to the rumours (which I highly doubt) or he is used to this kind of unwanted attention (unlike me).

I'm gonna go ahead and say it is the latter.

After we had our first actual conversation yesterday Chris and I had our take out after which we simply acknowledged that it was an over all good day(considering neither one of us had murdered the other) and we drove to school so I could take my car and drive home.

Pretty anticlimactic right?
But that was really it.

And now I don't know if we go back to hating each other... Or are we going to try and be civil.

I take Emma to our spot near the edge of the feild a little further from the rest of the crowd. Maple tree's line the entire border and we sit under one of them.

“ So..?” I hear Emma ask expectantly, but in all honesty I don't even know where to start. Or if there even is anything to say really.

I mean yes, yesterday was a start... But I don't know if it went the way it was supposed to.

“ So...” I say knotting my fingers in my lap and trying hard not to look towards the bleachers.

“ Did you guys......?” Emma began

“ Yes..we did skip class...Chris and I.
.but no it wasn't to eat each others faces... Or any other body part.” I say

If Emma had any doubts regarding what 'Any other body part' ..she didn't raise them...so I continue to speak.
And I don't realize when I get into a comfortable flow.

“ We just...I don't know.... Were kind of in the same space for sometime, and that kind of..I guess made us click or something. ” Its like the words are just tumbling out of my mouth and forming into chains of sentences that I didn't know I had decided to say.

I proceeded to tell Emma about how English class turned into this spontaneous trip and then how that trip turned into a messed up my past strikes again kind of a thing and how after that the “ talk” happened.

“I don't know Em, I just...I mean sometimes I feel like my past makes me judge people harder than I really should.” I say after telling her about how Chris told me something personal no one else would. (Of course I didn't say what...and she was pissed to say the least..)

“ Well that's good right?”Emma asks looking at me expectantly

I mull her question over in my mind.
What Chris did for me, really was very sweet of him...no doubt.

But me being me....only makes it that much harder for me to trust him.

I mean why would he suddenly care enough about me to be so helpful. Why now?

And even if he was genuinely doing it. What are we now? Friends? Enemies? Frenemies? What?

Before I could answer Emma or even myself I heard someone clear their throat behind me.

I turn to look at Chris standing there blocking the sun that had been shining over us all this while.

I feel my hearbeat pick up in anticipation as he begins to speak and what he says only makes matters worse for my heart.

“ Sam? Can we talk ?”