Switching Emotions

The kiss was not so much a kiss as it was a peck. Light  as feather and barely there. Chris's lips touched  mine for a mini second before he envelopes me into a bone crushing  hug.

But the tingling sensation in my entire being consumes me none the less.

I am left with a weird buzzing feeling in the pit of my stomach, that leaves me shocked and immobile for a few seconds.

"You gotta hug me back for this to work” Chris whispers into my ear. But all I can think about are his lips, so close, I can feel his breath. The same lips, that just a few seconds ago were on mine.

I shake my head.
What the hell is wrong with me?

I wrap my arms around  Chris's neck and bury my face into his shirt.

I cannot... I will not let this affect me.

I'm hit with a warm scent of cinnamon and aftershave, and it's so comforting,  I almost forget this is all pretend. Almost.

"Is he gone?” Chris's words though audible, don't register with me for a few seconds.

"What?" I ask still a little lost in the comforting embrace.

"Noah" he says, in an urgent tone.
"Is he gone yet?"

Just hearing his words, snap me out of my dazed out state and almost immediately, without even checking for Noah, I recoil from the hug.

Chris eyes me with a confused look.
"What happened? "

I need to get a grip on my feelings.
I cannot let something  so stupid affect me, but I don't know why... It just does.

I look towards the parking entrance - and thank god- Noah is gone.

Avoiding any kind of eye contact I speak.
" Nothing, Noah is gone"

I use my most convincing tone, but I don't need to look up to realise I'm not fooling anyone.

"We should get to class too"
I cannot let Chris see the conflict and confusion in my eyes, because it's something I myself don't completely understand yet.

So without waiting for a reply I quickly turn on my heels and rush back to the main building.

Chris's voice calling me, almost a distant dream.
                       ********

"So glad to see you back here once again Sam" Gemma or as I like to call her G-ma says as I walk into her small bakery shop, that afternoon.

Matty and I have been working at 'Cake Me Away' for the past three years now and it's almost like a second home to us. Well at least to me it is.

"I almost thought you too wouldn't show this time, after Matty called to say he couldn't make it"
I try to ignore the pang I feel at her words as I drop my bag off in the back room for employees before pulling a light blue apron, advertising the shops name on it, over my black green day shirt.

"No way" I say clearing off the glass front even though it is spotless.

"I'd never leave you  understaffed, although that is completely your own fault"

G-ma looks at me, her round hazel eyes all innocent through her square glasses.

"My fault?"

I almost smile at her utter cuteness.
At 60 she owns the place along with her husband and high school sweetheart John, who loves being called Captain,for no apparent reason.

The two purchased the place and started the franchise after having saved pretty much their entire lives, and it became and instant hit in Fairview.