Let's Fake It!

Summer

“ Be My Girlfriend”
Three words, I never expected I'd be hearing from Christian Mckibben's mouth, not when I first met him, not now.

But here they were, out in open, hanging between us in the stuffed but tensed atmosphere of the closet. My closet.

At first my mind wanted to assume, it had somehow misinterpreted some word or something that Chris said, because he couldn't possibly have asked, what I heard.

It made no sense for him to.
But when he continued to look at me seriously... Waiting on a reply I looked outside quickly to notice my mom was long gone.

How long had I been in shock exactly?

I pushed the door open and got out of the claustrophobia inducing place and went straight to open the window up.

I don't know if my suffocation was so much from the cupboard as it was from Chris's sudden question.

Taking deep breaths of the outside air, I try and clear my mind.

Girlfriend? Chris Mckibben's Girlfriend?
Wow. What even?

I turn to face Chris, speaking for the first time since he put the question out there.

“ Chris, I mean...you're nice and all...but ...I ....um...I don't...I mean...”
Chris looks at me, confusion clear in his features as I stutter through my weak attempt at a rejection.

Chris shakes his head, as if just suddenly realizing the direction of this conversation.

“ I mean, fake......fake dating Sam...oh God.... I mean...I didn't...oh I....aggh” He looks away and starts walking towards the door, hiding his bright red cheeks.

Sighing with relief I too look away.
Okay.. Now it seems stupid that I even considered that Chris would look at me like that.
Why would he?
Right?

Not knowing what else to say, I try to change the topic.

“ How exactly is this a solution? ” My voice is slightly cracked, but clear none the less.

He turns around and looks at me, contemplating his answer, or my reaction to it maybe.

“ Fine, I'll explain. But you need to promise to keep an open mind to it and not freak out or anything ”

His words are what is already freaking me out. I look outside once again to notice my Mom's car is no longer in the driveway, she must've got an emergency call. I pull my phone out to check if she had left any message and find one:

“ Came home, you weren't there, had to leave for a sudden surgery, it a short one though,so I'll be back by dinner. See you then ”

I shut my phone and try to ignore the slight pang I felt at her, couldn't be bothered attitude. She loves me.
I know she loves me.

“Sam?” I look back to face the almost forgotten Chris standing beside me.

“ Yeah, I'll keep an open mind” I say, its all I've been doing my entire life after all.

Chris walks back to my bed and sits down, patting down on the spot next to him to ask me to do the same.

So I do.

Taking a deep breath he starts.
“ Noah, obviously did something to break your heart, he hurt you and I know its been a while, but that kind of hurt doesn't heal quickly”

I stare at the floor, listening intently to what Chris has to say but not adding anything in return.

“ I know you said, what you did in the heat of the moment but I don't think you could've  said anything better”