Loud Lunch

Summer

It has been a week since Matty left for football camp, along with any hope I had of reestablishing our now permanently broken friendship.

As much as I wanted to, I couldn't get myself to hate him. He was only trying to protect himself, I can't even remember what I did, but knowing me, in my drunken desperation I must've said something I shouldn't have, because Matty had never looked at me the way he did, that day in the classroom.

I shouldn't have had the god forsaken vodka, and I wouldn't have to, if it hadn't been for the devil himself.

Noah was proving to be a bigger problem than I had initially assessed.

He followed me to all my classrooms, kept trying to talk to me, even if I didn't acknowledge him and constantly texted me, basically having a conversation with himself, since I refused to reply.

I could see how hard he was trying to be the same guy, I was once in love with. But he was delusional if he thought we could go back to that.

Chris on the other hand, just bothered me during the classes we had together, staying out of my way other than that.

Never once did he ask me why I wasn't talking to him, or try to explain himself.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I had this hope that maybe it was because he didn't know what was wrong, or thought it would be better to give me my space, but I knew better than to think this was true.

So lunch was basically just Emma and me now a days, or rather just me mostly since most of the time Emma was MIA or trying to grab extra studio time for her art class.

I tried drowning out the loneliness by concentrating and working on the first assignment for fiction/ poetry writing that Mr.Kennly had given the class.

The few words that I did speak to Noah were only during this class and that was only because I had no other choice.

“ So Carmen is going to forgive Daniel?” Noah asks as we work on the topic of the day: Character sketch.

I sigh looking up to meet his eyes only to see an amused glint in them.

He was enjoying this. Annoying me. Since this was the only time he got a response out of me.

After trying to apologize that first day, he just went on to act like nothing ever happened.

Which I don't know if I should be grateful about or get mad at.

“ Carmen doesn't have compassion or a forgiving nature, if that's what you mean” I say referring to one of the main characters around whom we had situated our story.

The entire class was divided into groups of two as they worked on their characters, who had to show some kind of development by the end of the story which we have to submit at the end of this year.

Just thinking about it makes my stomach flip.
We actually had to complete (although short) a story in a matter of a few months and every thing from the plot, character sketch, twists to ending mattered.

Mr. Kennly, was sitting at the front of the class typing away at his laptop, working on something of his own.

My initial judgement about him too had been a little quick.
Although young, he spoke and taught writing with such passion that I could feel myself wanting to hear more.

He was funny and kept a light-hearted atmosphere in class, but where work was concerned he became very particular about everything. He expected nothing but the best from all the 30 of us.