Closet Quandaries

Extra long update!!!!!! Please don't forget to read the A/N at the end. Thanks!

SUMMER

After lunch, the rest of the day passed by rather uneventfully, for which I was glad.

Noah kept his distance, but gave me glances that suggested he wanted to speak, but words refused to leave his mouth.

As fun as it had been to see the expression on Noah's face, I soon realized the magnitude of what I had done.

I had once again managed to create more problems in my life than I needed or had bargained for.

Chris texted me for the first time since Matty left asking me if I was okay and I still hadn't replied to it, as I got into my car with Emma that afternoon exiting school.

I kept thinking over the whole situation with Chris, we somehow always managed to get ourselves tangled into some kind of a weird relationship that was not defined or explainable.

I still don't know where I stand with the whole him knowing or not knowing about me and Noah and if it even mattered.

" You okay?" Emma asked as I pull out of the the parking lot.

I glance over at her.
Her hair is tied up in a messy bun and her face was covered in some grime and paint from her fingers. There were light bags under her eyes and they completely lacked their usual shine.

She looked defeated.

" I'm supposed to ask that" I say looking back at the road.

Emma sighs before turning back to look outside the window.

I can almost feel the despair in the air. Guess I'm not the only one having a sucky day.

" Yeah, I'm great"
Her voice is barely above a whisper and I can tell without a doubt she is lying.

" Lying is not gonna really help this situation " I say trying to concentrate on the road instead of my depressed best friend. Well,the only friend I have left.

The silence was so long I almost give up on a reply when Emma suddenly turns to face me.

" You know that feeling when
you're sure what your doing and feeling is right, but everyone might not agree with you"

I mull her words over in my head, and the first thing that comes to my mind is the stupid revenge plan I had against Chris in the beginning and how, Emma was so against it, even when I was sure it was not wrong at all.

But somehow her tone makes me feel like what she is referring to is not as trivial or unimportant as that episode of ours. So I shake my head.

" No, why?" I say driving slower as we are close to her house now.

Emma plays with a black bracelet I have never seen before on her wrist.

" Its just..."
I try not to affect her by saying or acting in any off putting way in case she changes her mind about telling me anything.

Emma has always been there for me, no matter what. But since a few weeks now she has been acting very weird and off, like there is something bothering her, but she just doesn't know how to say it. Or doesn't want to.

Which brought to the realization that maybe this behaviour was not so recent in action as it was in discovery.

I had once again managed to overlook and ignore the problems and behaviour of someone I loved.