🏮19. Mystical Medicine

Amber walked over to the side of the viewing room where a metal table was sitting and set the pitcher down on it. Then she pulled the water glass out of her pocket and poured the mixture into the water glass. She looked at it while wishing that she had some ice, when blue light glowed out of her left hand, and the edges of the mixture started to freeze. Amber's eyes widened as she quickly walked over to the patient, while the mixture froze from the outside in. She quickly handed it to the patient and held her hands behind her back, making sure that she didn't touch anything else. She hadn't frozen the drink on purpose and was well aware that mana water should be nearly impossible to freeze. It certainly shouldn't be something that she can freeze on accident. Her powers were starting to manifest in a big way and she had no control over them at the moment. Her heart rate picked up speed and her hands shook slightly behind her back. What other things could she accidentally freeze?

The patient looked at her, and then the glass. She hesitated for a moment and then looked at the face of her anxious son. She swallowed nervously and then looked at her ruined orange colored hand. Then she lifted the glass to her lips. She poured a little of the mixture into her mouth. It tasted like the most delicious and refreshing thing she's ever tasted. She swallowed the little bit in her mouth and her body instantly screamed for more. Her weak body felt more energized than it had for the past few months. She quickly tipped the glass back and took deep desperate gulps.

Amber silently walked over to the table again and motioned for the young doctor's assistant to take the mixture over to the patient and pour more of it in her glass. As he looked into her eyes, he felt somewhat mesmerized by Amber's presence. Initially he wasn't going to cooperate with her, but he felt almost compelled to do so. He jumped up out of his seat and rushed to satisfy her demands. This whole time she didn't actually say a word to him, but it didn't matter.

She continued to keep her glowing hand behind her back and kept somewhat of a distance behind him. As he eagerly filled the patient's glass, Amber spoke up. "One more glass after this should be sufficient."

He obediently shook his head and watched for the moment that the glass emptied so that he could fill it once again.

Mabel finished drinking the mixture and shoved the glass at the assistant to quickly fill. As she finished drinking up the last glass, the crowd behind the viewing window leaned in and gasped. You could see the changes on the woman's skin as the bruises visibly faded and her skin cleared of sores. Then her skin visibly faded from bright orange to a healthy pinkish tone. She took a deep relieved breath and looked at her arms in shock. Tears started to stream down her face as she looked at Amber.

"Thank you! I'd almost given up hope!"

The crowd on the other side of the viewing glass nearly plastered themselves against the window, but were forced to move away from Fudd. He had fallen down on his knees, while covering his face with his hands and cried.

Amber roughly smiled, but it looked painfully awkward. "You're welcome."

"My name is Mabel, if my son didn't already tell you. May I know the name of the person who saved me?"

Amber frowned and spoke quietly, "I'd prefer not to say at the moment, but you may call me Lady Jinks."

She paused and then smiled up at Amber. "I see, well everyone has an odd secret here or there, Lady Jinks. Whichever name you go by, it doesn't change the fact that you saved my life and I'll forever be grateful to you. If you're in need of my service, I'd be happy to assist you from here on out. I know that my son would feel the same way."

Amber tilted her head. "Your service?"

Mabel widened her eyes minutely. "Oh, you were unaware. I'm one of the three head chefs at the hotel across the street. My son works with me by collecting ingredients. I don't have much faith in that hotel anymore and will likely look for new employment elsewhere anyway."

"Hmm, come by the hotel tomorrow afternoon and see me. I'll have an answer for you by then," Amber said.

Mabel smiles. "Will do."

"If you'll excuse me, I have some other pressing matters to attend to," Amber said while looking at Doctor Denari who had a shocked look on his face. She walked over to Sam who had gotten up and was staring at Mabel. His body was stiff and his eyes looked like saucers.

Amber glanced out of the viewing window and saw Denari backing away with a pale complexion, as if he had seen a monster.

"I'll ask you to order a bath for Mabel and distribute the rest of the cure to the other patients with her malady. If you need more, you can contact me at the hotel across the street. I'll be there until tomorrow. Leave a message with the front desk for me. I will also give further instructions on how to get a hold of me before I leave for future use," Amber said.

Sam bowed deeply to her, "Yes, I'll relay that. Thank you."

Amber walked past Sam and headed down the hallway at a fast clip so that she could intercept Denari.