🏮77. Gate

In the Shadow Forest, the night sky was full of mist around a bright green moon. Any creatures who had come out of hiding, hadn't come out to this particular area of forest. That was because the dragon's aura was so thick past here. The aura of a dragon was heavy, causing lesser creatures to have a hard time breathing. It was as if an ominous pressure was crushing their lungs and pushing them into the forest floor.

Oberon, who had been flying over the forest, started to lose height, unable to continue flying. Lower and lower he flew, until he had landed on the forest floor. Then he collapsed. His whole body lay against the grass, while he breathed heavily and gasped for air.

Amber climbed off of his back and patted his head reassuringly. "You two stay here," Amber said while untangling little Alina out of her hair with great difficulty.

The little light pixie hadn't wanted to 'cuddle up with a smelly egg.' So she decided to, 'claim the top of the master's head as her territory.'

Amber wasn't sure what to think about her head being claimed as territory. Should she feel flattered? Should she feel concerned? She also wasn't used to cuddlers, but that's what Alina called herself. She said that it was too late to back out now.

"No returns and no refunds," Alina had said.

Alina had sprawled herself over the top of Amber's head, gripping tightly onto her hair, while laying on her belly. Amber sighed, trying to pluck Alina off without hurting her, but her fists just tightened more.

Then Amber heard the quiet sound of snoring coming from the tiny light pixie. She felt an uncomfortable quiver in her heart and stilled her movements. Dropping her hand back down to her side, she sighed again. They traveled like that for a while, until Oberon had needed to land, and it became necessary to pull the little light pixie out of her hair.

Alina growled in her sleep, which wasn't at all intimidating. Then curled herself up into Amber's hair. It kind of felt like she'd accidentally gotten gum stuck in her hair, as she worked at removing Alina. She really needed to think of a good alternative to hold Alina, since she insisted on attaching herself to Amber in some way. Perhaps she could put Alina in a little carrier pouch, or something?

Amber pulled out some snacks and water, handing them down to Alina and Oberon. "You should be fine waiting here. However, if anything strange happens, I want you to head out towards the exit and find a large tree with purple flowers. Alina, your half brother will be waiting for me there. He'll guide you home," Amber said.

[No returns! No refunds!] Alina said.

"I'm not trying to return you. I meant that you two can come back to my home with him. You know, home," said Amber.

[Oh.] Said Alina and then widely grinned.

"Stay out of sight and wait for me here," said Amber.

[Ok, Master!] Alina said.

"Yes, Master," Oberon said.

Amber turned away from them and traveled down the trail alone. She walked through the thick green fog. The dragon's aura rolled around her. The aura nearly swallowed her up and hid her from sight, but still she didn't seem at all affected by it.

How could a mere yuki-onna not be affected by a dragon's rampant aura? Even the ordra couldn't lift its head up off the forest floor. They looked at her with a great deal of confusion, but full of pride.

The trail led to a valley between two pointy light gray mountains. These mountains were the barrier between the mid-range area of the Shadow Forest and the entrance to the most dangerous part of the Shadow Forest. The small opening through the mountains was covered by a thick metal wall, taller than the tallest trees in the forest. There was only one small door, just slightly taller than her. The door stood out in contrast against the wall. The door was pure black with a matching door handle that had a lock inside it. Amber tried to turn the nob, but it was locked. She was expecting as much.