🏮 23. Fighting Herself

Amber flung out her hand and grabbed the pixie. Her reflexes had always been good, but going through medical school made her movements even more precise. She put her hand behind her back while holding the pixie with one hand and petting its head with the other. Ena filled up her cheeks with air and crossed her arms indignantly.

"I have some things that I want to do first and then you can do what you want," Amber said.

"What kind of things do you want to do with me?" he said flirtatiously and then smirked.

"Oh, you'll find out soon. I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise," Amber said.

Ena stuck out her lower lip in thought and then rolled her eyes. She tapped Amber's hand, letting her know that it was alright to release her.

Amber loosened her hold and then Ena flew out of her hand and above his head while reaching down to him. She lightly took a strand of his hair into her hand and pulled it out of his head. She lifts up her arm as he reaches up to scratch his head. When he lowered his hand again, she reached out and pulled out another strand.

Amber cleared her throat. Ena looked up from her naughty amusement and shrugged her shoulders. While looking Amber in the eyes, she tugged out another strand of his hair. She grinned with all four of her pointy canines showing and then flew down to his face.

Amber could see Ena, but he couldn't. Ena took this opportunity to hold out the fistful of his hair and rub his cheek with it. She held out the hair and rubbed it back and forth across his cheek. He rubbed his face, trying to get the hair off of him, but just a moment later the tickling feeling would come back. Then when he heard a light buzzing noise coming from Ena, he pulled his hand back, and slapped his face forcefully. His cheek remained pink and swollen from the impact, but he seemed satisfied once he couldn't hear the buzzing anymore.

Ena's eyelids lowered slightly and a satisfied smile appeared on her face. Then Ena flew back to the corner to wait.

When they arrived on the second floor, the doors whooshed open. Amber could feel the air of the hallway flow in with a strong gust. She took a deep breath as some of her nervousness from being confined was relieved.

They arrived in an equally large room as the one downstairs with a similar setup. The lighting on the second floor was a bit dimmer, with tons of thin red string lights hanging from the ceiling. The side rooms around the main larger room had solid wooden doors instead of curtains, but the doors were still red. In the center of the room was a large round bar with a bartender in the middle of the counter and people sitting on raised seats while drinking. There were mostly men sitting at the bar, but a couple of women wearing empire dresses were also sitting there.

On the right side of the room, was a section where men in half masks were dining with women, wearing white robes. The music from downstairs somehow floated around the air up here and there were people dancing on a dance floor near the tables.

Amber was having a difficult time averting her eyes from the left side of the room where there was a large cage. There was a row of thick metal bars, half a cube thick, that reached from floor to ceiling. They partitioned a width of forty cubes of the room from the rest of the room like a metal curtain. Behind the row of bars were tons of thick mats and thin blankets laying all over the floor. Lying on those blankets were women huddled together and talking quietly.

Walking out of one of the closed side doors was a woman in a white robe, but her hair and outfit were skewed. She stumbled a bit as she opened a pair of double doors in the center of the back wall and slipped inside.

Then Amber remembered where they were headed and her anxiety spiked up again as the floating platform carried them down the side of the room. Amber's heart thumped in her chest nervously while she looked sideways at him. A lecherous look was plastered on his face.

Amber kept on reminding herself to stay calm. She had strong ice magic now, there's no need to feel too nervous. She can obviously handle some random guy at a reception desk. She needed to get past these annoying weaknesses of hers and find Nova.

Amber remembered the conversation she had with Ena right after Ena saw her twisting Denari into ice art or making sure Denari stays fresh? He doesn't go bad? Lame jokes. Anyway, Ena told Amber that It's normal for people to have Ice or water magic in this kingdom, but for beginners it's usually to the level of water and ice manipulation. That means, you can control a small amount of that element if it already exists. What Amber accidentally did was quite extraordinary to the point of being frightening. Unfortunately, Amber didn't have control over her powers. Sadly, in 'Duchess Dash,' Arabella went through her whole life not knowing that she even had powers and finally died unjustly at an early age.

The original owner of this body might have prevented such an untimely and useless end if she'd had access to strong magic.

Amber's own death had been so anticlimactic, dying pointlessly shortly after her hard work should have finally paid off. This time she would definitely make sure she lived well.

Suddenly the floating disk stopped in front of a closed door at the end of the large room. She took a deep breath to relax her nerves, as the man from the reception desk pulled a card out from under his clothing and swiped it across a square reading box next to the door. It beeped and clicked. The door released and slipped into a pocket within the wall.

Amber looked into a large bedroom, dominated by a large round bed with plush silky red covers. The man stepped off of the platform. When Amber didn't step off, the platform shrank to accommodate just her, and slowly brought her into the room. All of her instincts screamed at her to jump off of the platform and run. She felt frozen in place, staring at the red covers of the large bed as she was brought closer to it.

She tightly closed her eyes.