🏮57. Lotus

A smirk appeared on Amber's lips, showing a bravado that she didn't entirely feel. However, her knowledge of Duchess Dash and the comfort of her needles, gave her some reassurance that she would be alright. After all, the duke would never kill an interesting toy immediately and she could always poison him if need be. Best to show a brave face so that he didn't lose interest too quickly. Now that it was too late to avoid his interest entirely. After all, it wasn't like she really had all that much to be worried about. Pretty soon Cray would catch his attention and he'd lose sight of everyone else. He'd start pursuing Cray instead of bothering with Amber. She might as well try to use his temporary interest in her to her advantage.

"This type of flirting leaves much to be desired. Although I'll give you a couple of points for originality," Amber said while making an okay sign with her fingers. "Top notch, good job," she said sarcastically. "If your goal was to gain my attention, congratulations. However, I'd ask that you release me now before my food gets cold. I tend to get grouchy when I'm hungry," she said while poking at the inside surface of the bubble with her pointer finger.

Duke Dreyfus stared at her without moving, with an expression of utter shock. He couldn't quite believe what he was hearing, since no one had ever talked to him in this way.

"Like, now," Amber said while flicking the inside surface of the bubble with her finger tips.

Duke Dreyfus chuckled deep in his throat while his eyes playfully glittered. "Yes ma'am," he said while lowering the bubble down to the ground and he released Amber with a pop. "May I know this enchanting woman's name?"

When Amber's feet touched the ground, she felt a small sigh of relief threatening to escape her lips. She held in her sigh, only showing a haughty look on her face.

"My name is Lotus," Amber said. She didn't know why that name popped into her mind, I just did.

"You may stay for lunch, but unfortunately I don't have enough food for your whole group. I wasn't expecting company," Amber said while walking away.

Amber looked over her shoulder in a way that she hoped was a slightly sexy expression, but also a bit stuck up. "Also, if you want to kiss me, try being a man, and actually make me want it first," she said before continuing to walk back into the tent.

She could feel his eyes boring into her back while he watched the sway of her hips as she walked. It took all of her concentration to keep her walk steady and appear unfazed. She didn't have a lot of experience with men.

Duke Dreyfus followed after Amber with a smirk on his lips and glittering eyes. He had the look of a predator on the hunt. It was good for Amber that she didn't look back at that time. She would have nearly jumped out of her skin if she'd seen that look. As it was, Amber was internally cringing. She wasn't used to flirting, okay?

As she and the Duke were sitting down to eat, he gradually motioned for his other people to leave the two of them alone. One after another, the area around Amber's campsite cleared until it was just the two of them eating an intimate meal. He complimented her profusely on her cooking. He felt quite grateful that she happened to cook some of his favorite food, and was relaxed and content.

At first, he was reluctant to eat anything she served, but she started eating first, and he had a strong sense for detecting poison. As they ate, she told him about her father being a merchant. Then how her parents and her used to travel around looking for rare objects.

During one of their travels, the three of them had come into this forest to look for some rare herbs. During their stay within the forest, her parents had gotten caught by a mafau and were dragged off. She'd waited for them to return, but they never did.