🏮58. Abagica

Omar Green stood next to his commander, Duke Dreyfus, while they supervised the rest of the company setting up camp. He had been General Duke Dreyfus's second in command for many years now. Usually he could say that he trusted the Duke's judgment completely and respected him without question, but in this instance he felt it was his duty to question his superior.

They were setting up camp almost on top of Miss Lotus's camp, which was nowhere near as far into the Shadow Forest as they were originally planning to travel on their first day. This proposed trip had a code name for many years, it was that important, and ordered by the Queen Dowager herself. There was no room to bring in an unknown element. Most of the people in their company knew that they were looking for some sort of mafau, but they did not know the real reason why this trip was so important. They were mostly looking for the gateway to the true source of magic. The Duke and Omar were the only two in their hunting group who knew this hidden goal. This was not just a hunting trip, regardless of how tempting their target was.

"You really think it's wise to linger here," Omar said, while rubbing the dark brown scruff on his cleft chin. His pale green eyes the color of apples were squinting in appreciation towards Jessera, as she bent over, while setting up some tents. His short brown hair curled around the bottom of his ears and on the crown of his head in spirals. He wore a basic tunic style garment tied with a leather strap and pouches, much like the rest of the men in the hunting party, and tight fitting men's breeches, in the traditional hunting color of red.

"We will leave in the morning," said Erin Dreyfus while looking at Omar.

Jessera glanced behind herself, hoping that Duke Drefus was watching. Only to meet Omar's leering eyes locked onto her. Omar winked while she quickly looked away; filled with irritation. Jessera knew that it was unlikely her one sided affections would ever be returned. She certainly didn't feel like she was worthy enough for him. However, inadequate she felt didn't excuse some country bumpkin tainting him. What was so great about a random woman in the woods anyway? Her magic? Her beauty? The shine of her silver hair? Some people would call that beautiful, she knew others who would think it was eerie. Jessera couldn't stand it! She knew that she wasn't worthy of General Duke Erin Dreyfus, but that certainly didn't mean that she was willing to give him up to trash.

Jessera stood up in irritation and stomped off to the back of the camp, away from Erin and Omar. She wasn't going to be a show for Omar! How dare he ever assume that she had any interest in him!

"You certainly have a way with women," Erin Dreyfus said to Omar.

"That I do," Omar said with a smug look on his face.

"When can I expect the wedding?" Erin said.

"No, no, no, this man is a wild mafau! I couldn't possibly be tied down yet. The other women of the world would weep and you know how I hate to see women suffering. There's enough of me to go around. I'm much more into the catch and release method," said Omar.

"Speaking of women though, what are you going to do about the silver haired beauty? I saw the way you were looking at her, but when you're ready to move on, I wouldn't mind taking over," Omar said suggestively while nudging Erin.

Duke Dreyfus's emerald eyes turned cold . Colder than any ice magic Omar had ever seen. They were the eyes of a predator ready to strike. "Lotus is mine. If anyone dares to look at her for too long, I'll gouge their eyes out," said Duke Erin Dreyfus.

Omar could tell by Erin's tone of voice that he was entirely serious. He made a mental note to never look at Lotus for very long. He put both of his hands up in a defensive gesture and took a step back.