033

Celeste stretched her arms out from under James' duvet, she rolled over to snuggle into his back to find his side of the bed empty. She sighed to herself looking out of his window, they sky was grey - like a snow storm was brewing.

She peeled herself out of the warm bed and rummaged through James' drawers to find her favourite hoody, pulling it over her head and rubbing the sleep out of her eyes she slowly opened the bedroom door, worried she'd see James pacing the floor.

"Babe?" She called out "James?"
Curiosity set in as she walked into the kitchen and he wasn't there. She went back to grab her phone - no texts from him. She called him, straight to voicemail. Panic overtook the curiosity she rang Jas as she chewed on her fingernail.

"Morning babe, how you feeling?" Jas answered the phone

"Jas, is James with Steve? Are they there?"

"Steve's here, Steve have you heard from James?"

"I've just woke up and he's not here, I'm worried." She started to pace the room, she knew he wasn't stupid but he was angry. Steve came onto the phone "have you rang him? I just tried and straight to voicemail"

"Yeah same for me, Steve I need to..." Celeste stopped as she heard the elevator doors open, she hurried into the kitchen to see James walking in holding coffee and pastries.

"He's here, I'll call you soon" she hung up "where have you been? I tried to ring you and it went straight to voicemail, I was worried."

"I thought you'd want these" he smiled at her waving the coffee and pastries "I also thought you'd still be asleep, you were out cold when I left."

Celeste let out a sigh "James I was worried you'd done something stupid" she walked up to him and wrapped her arms around his torso, he kissed the top of her head wrapping his arms around her.

"I got cinnamon swirls" he mumbled into her hair "Wanda says hi too, I asked her to the party. Her and Vis will be there suited and booted"

"Oh amazing, I'll give her a text to see if she wants to come shopping with me and Jas later today." She pulled away from James to grab her coffee.

"You're going shopping today? I thought we could have a duvet day."

"Yeah I need a dress still! And possibly a little pamper after the past couple of days"

James brushed his hair back behind his ear, nodding. Celeste's attention was drawn to a cut and blood on his knuckles. Her heart dropped, she blinked to make sure she wasn't seeing things. She grabbed his hand and pulled it to her.

"James what the fuck is this?"

"Fuck"

"James tell me now, tell me you punched a wall. Tell me this isn't what I think it is. You're a pretty shitty hitman of you can't clean some fucking blood off your hands you're trying to hide from your fucking girlfriend!" She spat at him, grabbing her head turning away from him.

"Celeste I couldn't let someone threaten you and be ok with it!" He leaned on the counter watching her pace back and forth.

"James, I - I can't believe you. How is this helping anything?! You need to tell me what you've done."

"I couldn't just sit back and let this happen Ce! He threatened you and Steve!"

"James. Just tell me what you did." She yelled at him. He was taken back by the tone in her voice, he stepped around the counter towards her, his whole body tensed up as he went defensive.

"You wanna know? You really want to know?" He narrowed his eyes at her "I found him. I found where he lived, I waited inside his apartment until he got back from his morning coffee run, which I knew about because I have been watching him for days. I let myself in and I beat up him and I don't regret it one bit. I fucked him up so bad his own mother won't recognise him." he ended his sentence with venom, not one ounce of remorse in his body.