043

A/N: Buckle up, grab a snack. Please comment and vote and let me know how you are enjoying it! Or, hating it :')

----------------------------------------------

Steve slammed the pen in his hand into the desk making Celeste jump, she looked to him as he let his head drop into his hands "these fucking numbers just won't go into my head!" He exclaimed swiping the papers away from him. She stayed silent, reaching for the papers and stacking them up as he sat staring at the computer, his jaw tense and his nostrils flared. She grabbed some bottles of water from the bar and put one next to him "Steve, I know you're worried about him, but it'll be ok"

James had broke the news to Steve over dinner, it didn't go the way he'd planned. For the first time in a long time they got into a fight, Steve was yelling he shouldn't go alone, James was convincing him why he had to. But I'm always with you - Steve shouted it at him over and over. Celeste hated it, she'd never seen them fight before and she had never seen Steve so angry. "I can do this, you can go take a walk and get some fresh air." She started reading over the papers.

"No I need to keep busy." He mumbled.

"Then stop being a fucking drama queen and get on with it Steve, we're in the same boat and you're not making it any fucking easier for me." She bit at him.

His face softened as he saw Celeste's eyes filling with tears. She hadn't heard from James in a few hours, she was checking her phone every 5 minutes. He'll meet me here, he'll meet me here. She repeated that over and over in her head, she blinked away the tears and started working out what was on the paper.

"Red I'm sorry, I'm just - "

"I know Steve. Let's just get this sorted and get on with our day."

He nodded as he cleared his throat "Jas is coming in later, you wanna get some food with her and I'll look after the bar?"

"Sure, thanks Stevie." She smiled at him, her eyes glancing at his for a second.

~

James adjusted the knife he had tucked down his back - just in case - he strode down the street towards Pierces' office, it was away from the training facilities they use so he could never be found if anything came back on him. He keyed in the code on the door like nothing had changed. He closed the door behind him and took a deep breath. He made his way up the stairs to be greeted by security, they nodded at him, not questioning a thing "Barnes" one mumbled, swinging the door open to the office.

Two leather grandfather chairs were in front of the fire, Pierce wasn't at his desk, James' eyes darted around the room, a slight panic in his chest - was this a set up? He heard the clinking of ice come from the chairs in front of the fire, Pierce leaned around the chair "stop lurking Barnes it's just me and you, grab the scotch on your way over."

"No thanks don't feel like drinking" he walked over to the vacant chair and sat down, the leather squeaking under him.

Pierce was in a trance staring at the fire, like something was playing on his mind more than this whole situation. James stayed quiet, he didn't want to initiate the conversation but he didn't want to hang about. He stared at the side of his face hoping it was enough to burn holes into his head.

"I want to start off by apologising for sending you your mask, it was the only way I could get your attention." His gaze still fixated on the fire.

Apologising?

He thought to himself, never in the 18 years he's known him has he apologised.

"I just needed someone I trust, I need you."