035

Celeste leaned against the elevator wall as it made its way up to James' apartment, as the doors opened she stepped out and dropped the bags to the ground. James wandered into the kitchen to see the pile of bags around her, he raised an eyebrow "Do I wanna check my bank balance or?"

Celeste laughed "I do have my own money you know James. You didn't pay for all of this."

"How was your day? Did you get every thing you needed?" He asked her as she poured herself a glass of water, gulping it down to hydrate herself after a few cocktails and a full day of shopping.

"Yeah I think so. I got a dress and some new make up." She paused looking at the rest of the bags "and maybe some clothes" she smiled sweetly at him "how was your day?"

James let out a heavy sigh, placing his hands in his pockets looking to the ground. Celeste stopped drinking and slowly put the glass down "what's happened?"

He wanted to tell her everything like he promised, but he didn't know if it was too much at once. "James tell me." She broke his train of thought "you promised me you'd tell me" raising her voice a little. James took a deep breath, he sat down on the stool opposite her, her eyes were fixed on him.

"I got to the complex today and I had a package"

"Oh god"

"Ce please" He sighed "I'm finding this hard to tell you."

She nodded slowly at him, looking all over his face to try to understand where this was going.

"I had a package delivered from Pierce, it was my old mask I'd wear when I was out on jobs. Just sat in a box, no notes no nothing. I ended up smashing the office up, I let my anger get the best of me because I was scared. You were out in town and I panicked. I've had someone, as well as Daniel, watch you today."

Her eyes widened at him "James you should have told me that, is that why you rang me?"

"No of course not, I just wanted to see how you were getting on" he lied to her. He didn't want to let her know how scared he actually was. Celeste sighed, she didn't want to argue with him but she had 100 questions to ask.

"So is this just going to get worse now? Do you think it's wise we go to the party?"

"I don't have an answer for that right now, but I do have a plan. Kinda."

Celeste walked over to him and pulled the stool out next to him, sitting with her hand on his knee, giving him the comfort she knew he needed. She meant what she said that they were in this together, she couldn't abandon him now.

"I've spoke to Thor, he's offered us the safe house in the city he has. For you, me, Steve and Jas. So we're under one roof." His eyes darted to her to see her reaction. "If that's what you want?" He continued.

"What do you mean if that's what I want?" She tilted her head, confused by his question.

"Well I mean, I'd understand if you want to just leave. I wouldn't blame you, I can't give you any answers to how I'm going to sort this and I know I'm just putting you in danger. I get it if you don't want to be with me"

Celeste pulled away from him, shocked he'd even assume that. "Are you fucking kidding me right now? James, I said yesterday we were in this together, I am not leaving you!" He turned to her with fear in his eyes "but what if I can't protect you? What if this doesn't get resolved?" He started to doubt himself.
"James where is this coming from?"

"I've put you in this position and I..."

"Just stop. You didn't know this was going to happen, none of this is your fault. You've done nothing to start it, to me it sounds like they're just bored old men trying to ruin your life because you're better off without them." She rubbed his arm trying to comfort him as he stared down to his hands, his mind going through all possible scenarios, torturing himself was the only thing he knew how to do correctly. Celeste didn't speak, she just sat and waited for him, if she had learnt anything about James it was to give him time to process things. He snapped quickly and pushing him was not wise.