Ch 24

The following day, I went to the auction to purchase art again.

‘I can’t take a day off if I want to have a beautiful independent life.’

One good news is that 1,000 francs arrived as my monthly salary. My pockets were so full that I felt secure.

Dwayne looked puzzled at me, who seemed to be in high spirits.

Today’s auction was hosted by Count Rosento, who auctioned off some of the artworks he had been collecting due to their financial status dwindling thanks to their troublemaker son.

I have a feeling there would be more to take here than in a charity auction.

“This time-honored candlestick, created 300 years ago by the great artist Duke Raymond, is a kind of ornament rather than a candlestick and was documented to be used in the exorcism of Empress Urias, who was under attack by the devil. This valuable work of art is…”

[Monde, the God of Art, points at the lead candlestick]

I immediately prepared myself.

The auction has begun.

“100 francs!”

“200 francs!”

“Are there any more than 200 francs? 200, 200, 200 francs is a successful bid!”

Disguised as a wealthy and lazy country noble lady, I won several bids.

They said they had been collecting them since Count Rosento’s grandfather, but they seemed to have given away things they could dispose of on their own.

Garnet* necklace, Monde statue, the 54th saint’s portrait, and lead candlesticks…

(T/N: A ‘garnet’ is a hard, transparent, dark red colored mineral that is often used as gemstones and abrasives.)

Among them, the design of the Garnet necklace was good enough that it can be used now compared to its age. As I stood holding the object beautifully, Dwayne came closer and helped me.

“Are you going to sell them at the top again today?”

“Yes.”

“I don’t think you’re short of salary though…”

My monthly salary of 1,000 francs couldn’t have been short of living expenses for a commoner’s family for a year. If only not for the stupid Ariel offering Annie 650 francs.

“There exists a deep significance that only God knows.”

I said to Dwayne with a cool smile. It was a sign that there was no need for any further information.

The quick-witted Dwayne hurriedly bowed his head.

“I apologize.”

I soon set foot out of the Count’s mansion. Then, in a regular carriage without the crest of the temple, I headed for the main street where Lloyd’s Top was located.

It was fun to sit in the carriage and watch people’s dynamic lives. I will live a normal life as soon as I get out of the temple one day. It would be an average life with little happiness.

After a while, the carriage stopped in an alley near the Top and I got out of the carriage and headed to the building with Dwayne.

I went up the stairs that I climbed last time to sell things and found a purchasing appraiser. But I could see that there was someone who came earlier than me, and there was a little scuffle.