• Chapter One •

There was absolutely nothing I hate more than fucking BIO 101 and the class hasn't even started yet. Literally, my first day in this class but I knew it would be the worst. Honestly, I'm not even sure what made me take the only Biology course that was Mondays and Fridays, especially, considering the first day was a Friday. Who the fuck even created this schedule?

I begrudgingly walked into the class and took the closet desk to the door. That way I could be the first one out when this was finally over. Students began piling in, but I didn't bother to really look at any of them. I twirled my lose pieces of hair and began writing song lyrics in my notebook. I had this random melody in my head that I just had to get on paper or else I'd forget it.

"I don't ask for much and I still get nothing. It feels like I'm pulling you back from running. Come on baby show me something..." I hummed to myself and scribbled it down. I repeated the words a couple more times in my head and the more I stared down at the lyrics the more I hated them.

"Fuck it." I crossed them out.

I jumped as I heard a chuckle next to me, "Really, man?" The fuck? I looked over to see a boy. When did he even sit down? I didn't even hear him. Was he listening to me sing to myself this whole time?

He was larger than me, and darker in complexion. His hair was short and coiling. He fingers were tangled in his hair, just constantly thirsting them.

"What?" I asked, meekly, as I gripped my own tighter in my hand. I looked back down at the bold, black scribbles.

He leaned close and teased, "You don't know what you want to write on that paper."

I closed my notebook slowly, trying to keep my thoughts a secret, "Why you reading what's on my paper?"

The boy shrugged, "I'm not, but I can see you writing shit down and scribbling." Whew. So he definitely wasn't listening. Good to know.

I opened my mouth to reply but closed it as the professor stormed in abruptly.

"Good morning, class! I am Professor Hemans. This is Biology 101, but you already knew that," She went on as put all her papers on her table, "As it is our first day it's customary to get to know each other. I'll start," she moved in front of the table and folded her arms over her chest, "I've been teaching this course for ten years, before that I was teaching chemistry for fifteen. I have high expectations for every student in this classroom and it was my job to make sure you all pass. Understood?" We all nodded in agreement.

Her hard tone made me sit up straighter than usual. This lady definitely meant business and I could tell by how she scowled at the class. Her glare was icy as she looked over the classroom and eyes stopped on me. Shit.

She pointed her red manicured finger and motioned me to stand up. Then she said the one thing that I hate the most about first days, "What's your name, major, and one fact about yourself." Again, shit.

I complied, and coughed into my palm before speaking, "Um...My name is Gavin Adams. My major is Visual and Performing Arts, and one facts...I'm left handed, I guess." I raised my left hand. Then, I felt dumb for doing that like they've never seen someone's left hand before so I slowly put it back down.

"Great, sit down, next." I did and the boy seated next to me raised up.

"I'm Eric Harden," Woah, deep fucking voice. "I play football here, my major is Sports medicine but, the dream is to go pro." He prided, and flexed his arm muscles above his head. He must think he's Hercules or something.

"Isn't everybody's," She voiced them motioned him to sit down, too. I smirked. She's a bit cynical.

"That or a complete bitch," Eric whispered and I whipped my head fast and his direction. Did he just-  "What? Aint my fault you can't talk in your head."

"I should definitely work on that." I mumbled to myself and went back to twisting my own hair.

He turned his attention back on me and asked, "You live on campus?"

I looked at him wide eyed. Did he seriously not just see how mean and scary the Professor is and he already wanna be disruptive and shit? I planned on ignoring him, but I could feel him staring, still waiting for me to say something.

Finally I nodded, meeting his gaze, "Yeah, in Truman Hall, you?"

Eric shook his head and smiled wide, showing all his white teeth, "Nah, I got a place off campus. Perks of being an athlete." He winked at me. I don't know why but it made me feel kind of nervous on the inside, but I didn't show it on the outside.

I shrugged indifferently, hoping this would be the end of our little conversation, "That's what's up, lucky you." Football player and his own place? No wonder his head seems so far up his ass.

"I'm having a very small kickback tonight. Just friends, wanna come?"

I just stared at him and his smile slowly faltered.

"It'll be very small." He tried again, "Just a few friends, you know." . I've literally only been around him ten minutes and from what I've seen, he definitely doesn't seem like the type to have just "small" parties. He seemed like the type that had to be everybody's friend.

"How are we even friends. We've said maybe ten sentences just now."

He slid closer and bumped his shoulder into mine, "We are definitely friends. What's your number? I'll text you the address." He pulled out his phone ready to take the number. Doing all this right in front of the professor, who hadn't gave us a second glance since we introduced ourselves. This all seemed really strange.

"Um, okay." I told him my phone number as he typed it on his phone. I strained my neck, but he turned away from me and it was hard to see.

I didn't even get to see what he saved it as.