• Chapter Twenty-Six •

Eric decided to walk me back to my room. I guess that was gentlemen like. It was still early, though it was getting dark outside already and the pathways were kinda empty at this point. So nobody really paid attention to us anyway. Our shoulders occasionally brushed and I smiled each time. It was like his own special way of holding hands without actually doing it.

"You should really come to a game, though." He said out of nowhere. I looked at him just to see he was still looking forward.

"Where'd that come from?"

He shrugged, "I don't know. I remember us talking about it earlier. Everybody else comes so why not?"

I understood that, but still shook my head. "Well, Hudson was right. I don't know shit about football. Or any sport at all." I chuckled. I don't even know what position Eric played or even his number so I wouldn't be able to find him on the field anyway.

"I can teach some stuff before Saturday. I could always use more fans in the crowd, you know." He bumped my shoulder with a laugh. I bumped his shit right back.

I scoffed, "I'm not a fan, nigga."

"You my biggest fucking fan." Eric sucked his teeth and that cocky smirk he has came across his face.

"You probably ass anyway." I teased.

"Fuck outta here. I'm gone be the first Sophomore ever next year to be quarterback. Fucking watch."

"You're fucking—" I didn't get to finish because my phone started ringing. Mom flashed across the screen so I immediately answered, "Hey, Ma."

My mom voice shook on other end, "My baby." I stopped walking, "Oh, Gavin." She was crying.

"Mom? You good?" I asked. Eric stopped next to me and looked at me confused. He mouthed, "You okay?" I shrugged.

"Your brother is coming home." I rolled my eyes. I started walking again and now Eric looked even more confused, "His lawyer said he'll be out just in time for Christmas!"

"How?"

"Good behavior." She sighed happily, "It's a good thing. I'll finally have all my boys together again. I still gotta call Raheem and tell him!"

"I'm happy." I lied, "That's good news, Ma. Look, um, I'm bout to go in class so I'll call you later. Tell Rah I said what's up." I hung up the phone. It wasn't that I was unhappy. I just didn't care. I felt his glances towards me as we walked the rest of the way in silence.

"Ain't ya brother getting out good thing?" Eric finally asked, touching my shoulder.

I pulled out my keys from my pocket, "Yeah, I guess. I told you I don't really get along with him, don't fuck with the whole bisexual shit."

Eric nodded. He knew about that I had brother in jail and that we didn't talk, he just didn't know why, "I know how that is." He continued, "Not like that. But me and my cousin fell out about some shit, now he locked up. When the last time you talked to him?"

"When he got sentenced. They're letting him out on good behavior." I chuckled. "So like four years ago. It's funny, I've never seen that nigga behave a day in his life. When the last time you talked to your cousin?"

"Two years ago. We fought then, too." He shrugged. He looked like wanted to say more. I'll press him about later.

My brother, Raquan never asked about me and I never asked about him. Ma just updated us about each other without our consent really. It wasn't beef or anything, we just weren't there yet. I don't know if we'll ever be.

It was kinda fucked up that I wasn't all that happy about him getting out. He was still my big brother. But shit, it ain't like it meant shit to him so why should it mean something to me.