• Chapter Fifteen •

"I never want to see another fucking cookie as long I fucking live." I groaned as I busted through the double doors to outside. Finally fresh air!

Eric followed and was quiet at my side. My mind was still whirling from earlier but I was about to welcome some good ass sleep. I checked my phone and it read 9:00 p.m. At least we got out an hour early then we thought.

Hudson trailed in behind me, "At least you don't have to fucking sell them tomorrow." Seven-hundred cookies later and we were fucking tired. We left them in the kitchen so Hudson and Amy could just pick them up tomorrow on their way to the game.

Amy and Andrea walked slowly behind us gigging to each other. I looked back at them and Drea and I made eye contact. She gave me a knowing look and winked at me. I raised an eyebrow at her but she just waved me off.

"You drove here?" I asked him. He nodded and fished for his car keys out of the his basketball short's pocketbooks.

"You want a ride back?" He asked me. I blinked at him.

"To my dorm...That's literally on campus?" I looked at him blankly. Eric realized how stupid that sounded. I heard more giggles and I turned back to Drea but she was still huddled with Amy looking at something on their phones.

"Well, do you want to hang out." He tried again. I looked at him unsure. I expected him to give me the cold shoulder or show so some signs of regret but he seemed almost eager to get close to me again. Why did that make me feel so uneasy.

"I don't know. I should probably walk Amy and Drea back." I pointed at them behind. Suddenly Drea popped up in between us.

"No, that's fine. Hudson said he will." I looked down at her than to Hudson who was now in a hushed discussion with Amy, "You two can go do what bros do." She smiled up and me and I frowned because she had that glint in her eyes that she always did when she was feeling mischievous. What was up with this girl?

"I guess we can hang." I told Eric. Those familiar butterflies came back because I didn't know what hanging out really meant.

I said bye to the rest of them and followed Eric in the direction of his car. We let music fill the car instead of talking. My fingers absentmindedly went to my photos. The first thing I saw when I opened it was a picture of Jay and I. I frowned. Didn't I delete all our pictures the day he cheated? We were sitting on the bleachers and he was between my legs. Jay was wearing his football jersey even though it was a JV game day.

I frowned and then I realized the date. May 13, 2018. Two years ago. When he was junior and I was just a sophomore. Three days after he had came out when we were happy. 16 year old me had that ridiculous smile that just screamed "in love." I laughed humorlessly. Was I be cheated on then, too?

"You done looking at another nigga or you gone come inside?" I slightly jumped when a voice said. I looked up confused and we were in front of his house and I looked over at Eric and he was looking at me expectingly. I could feel my cheeks grow warm I hadn't realized we'd stop.

"Shut up. Just come on." I mumbled as I tried to hide my embarrassment.

The place look like I remembered it I guess. Just not filled with a bunch of drunk people. Without all the bodies I did notice shit I didn't before, like the big ass TV on the wall. The football coach must've had fucking money.

Now, that I think about why was Eric treated so special as a Freshman. I remembered something Hudson said about scouting but I'm sure all the fucking players were scouted so what made him so special? Eric walked off and came back with two red Gatorades and I took the chance and asked him.

Eric just shook his head and flopped down on the couch, "You really don't know football do you?"

I didn't know what was so funny. I was an artist, why would I give a fuck about who makes a touchdown in the net or whatever the fuck.

"So you never heard of Victor Harden?" I blinked at him. Why would that name mean anything to me, "His name is like all over the school."

"I just learned where the library was like yesterday." I said. I haven't been all over the school.

"My dad. He went to Tillman. More then went he was Tillman's star football player. I'm a legacy." He explained but it didn't really help any. He waited for me to react and when I didn't he continued, "My dad went pro and played for Ravens. Some shit happened and he got injured badly. There went his whole career and now it's my chance."

I took a sip from my Gatorade let the words resonate. So that's why he was treated like this. He was supposed to follow in his dad's footsteps. He was Tillman's next chance at fame.

"Sounds like a lot of pressure." I said.

He just nodded, "I can handle pressure." His eyebrows furrowed and he stared down at the ground as if he were in deep thought. Without thinking I reached my hand into his coils and played in his hair. Eric closed his eyes and leaned his head back into my touch. His face relaxed.

"You sing, right" He asked, eyes still closed. I was surprised he remembered.

I nodded than remembered he couldn't see me, "Yeah."

Eric turned his head and looked at me with eyes that made me hold my breath. His voice was low but smooth when he said, "Would it be weird if I asked you to sing me something?"

I shook my head, "What song you want to hear?"

"Anything," A small smile came across his face and he turned his head back around. I studied the side of his face. He looked so content with my hand just massaging his scalp.

I had time to worry about what we shouldn't be doing and how I could end up hurt. Now I just wanted this moment.