Inquisitive Heart - Chapter 6

BRUSHING MY THUMBS TO WIPE HER TEARS. I'm caught in the moment before I realized my friends are watching us intently. And by then, I removed my hands to Jennie and made few steps back, watching her with her look of disappointment.

*coughs*

"We better get going." I walk beside her who is likely dragging her feet to match us; I know because I'm stealing glances of her which made me look like a fool.

"I think Lisa—s hurt." Jennie whispered, watching my friends walk before us.

For a moment, I felt such a bad friend. I was mad Jennie flirted with other girls while Lisa sulked, yet I was here accepting Jennie in my arms, not minding the intimacy we just had and my best friend's feelings.

I just said it. I'm carried away by the moment. But it doesn't justify the fact that I just betrayed my best friend in the slightest way possible.

I snap my head to look at Lisa and cuss at myself for misunderstanding Jennie's words again.

I'm watching my best friend's limping leg. She's "physically" hurt. Maybe it was when she rolled on a slope slide getting too clumsy from all the jump scares. But she's laughing her ass off while talking to Joy about her stupidity.

"Lisa let's go I'll take you to the hospital." I said while guiding her gait with my hand on her arm.
Lisa chuckles. "Nope, it's fine. Guys I'm fine. No need to worry." She said, removing my hands off her, but nobody is convinced.

"It looks serious Lisa. We need to take you to the hospital!" I shouted at her like I'm her mother.

"I don't want you leaving Jennie here alone. I'll come with Joy, might as we borrow your car and let Joy drive me there herself." Lisa said to me as Joy nods in agreement with her. Lending them my car is not even a question.

I sighed and pulled my keys from my pocket and toss it to Joy without thinking of the consequences of them leaving me alone with Jennie.
"Be careful! I mean it." I said when they already turn their backs at us.
Jennie and I watch Joy turn to human crutches beside Lisa, and Lisa still laughing while hopping her good leg until they are not visible in our eyes anymore.

"This is all my fault." I said, placing my hand to my forehead. I sit on a bench and she follows.
"If I didn't suggest for us to go there, Lisa won't hurt herself. I was so eager to make her day better, but it kept ending in the opposite way." She gently strokes my hand.

"It's not your fault." Jennie said to me. I want to be mad at her because it is also her fault my friend is unhappy today. But when I watch her hand stroking my wrist, I don't know how to react to it.

I just realized I brought and worn the bracelet she gave me.

And she looks grateful seeing it hanging around my wrist, playing with each charm.

Maybe this is the effect to her... seeing I'm finally wearing it.

"How can you be so dense Jennie?" I asked in a soft way. And she looks at me intently, not removing her hands which is now already engulfing my hand. It was a smooth move that I felt some gentle effect from it.

"What are you talking about?"

"About Lisa's feelings." I said to her, now trying to remove my hand by the thought of my best friend, but she tightens her grip to my hand.

"How about it?" So, she knew? And then she's not taking it seriously?!

"Look I promised Lisa, and I won't break that promise." She said, still leaving me at bay.

"What promise?"

"That I'll try my best. And I'm sorry that I can't for now." She said, while stroking my palm with her little fingers.