Chapter thirty-two

"Mum?" I breathed rushing over to the hospital bed where my mum was laying, her eyes fluttered open as she looked up at me with a sad look in her eyes. She smiled as I grabbed her hand and tears rolled out of my eyes, "I love you," she spoke squeezing my hand with all her strength, "I love you too," I replied.

The door opened and Kate walked in flashing a obvious fake smile as she sat down in the chair opposite me on the other side of the bed, "Kate what happened?" I asked more tears dripping into my clothes, "your mum was involved in a car crash earlier today and she was trapped in the car and rushed straight to hospital," Kate told me.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing, "what?" I whispered glancing at my mum who had now closed her eyes and was quietly sleeping, "I know it's a shock but you need to stay strong for her ok? Can you do that?" Kate asked, I nodded but I wasn't sure if I could. I can't loose her, not now not ever.

I stood up slowly tears still falling and made my way out of the doors, Jai immediately stood up and ran over to me engulfing me in a massive hug, "what's happened?" He asked. I snuggled deeper into his chest and cried more before I answered, "m-my m-um," I managed to stutter. He tightened the hug, "shh baby girl everything will be ok," Jai whispered to me kissing my forehead.

***
It's been three days and my mum wasn't getting any better. I need her to be okay, she can't just leave me...

"What movie?" Jai asked me while I was wrapped up in my blanket on the sofa, I shrugged, "I don't mind you pick," I said. He nodded and went over to my DVDs picking out mean girls and placing it in the TV.

He came to sit next to me pulling me close to lean on his chest. I listened to his heartbeat as we watched the film, I silently said all the words in my head as it was my favourite film and I knew all the words. We were about half way through the movie when Jai's phone started to ring with an unknown number coming up on the screen, "I better answer this," he said walking out into the kitchen with the door closed.

I wasn't meaning to be nosy or anything but I crept up to the door of the kitchen and tried to make out who was the unknown person. I couldn't really hear much but Jai sounded pretty stressed, "look just leave me alone, you were a mistake..." Was all I heard. What was he talking about? A mistake?

I heard him come off the phone so I sprinted to the sofa and threw myself back into the position I was already in, "you okay?" I asked him as he sat down again, he didn't answer, "Jai?" I said. "It's nothing I'm fine," he snapped staring at the TV. "Oh," I said awkwardly, what's gotten into him??

The next day...
"How's she doing?" I asked the nurse in the room with me. I was at the hospital by myself as a Jai had something to do and Kate was out of town. The nurse smiled at me, "your mums stable enough but if I'm honest she's not really making any progress but we will keep monitoring her," she replied. I nodded back trying to smile. The nurse left the room so I went back over to my mum, "mum please be okay, I know you can do this," I whispered holding her hand.

No response.

I say there in silence just listening to the sound of the clock ticking and the steady heart beat of my mum on the machine. I sighed, I don't know what to do anymore about my mum. I mean what's going to happen? I have no clue.

I rested my head on the bed and closed my eyes still holding my mums hand. I heard the door open but I didn't open my eyes I kept still when they came over and wrapped their arms around my waist, I knew straight away that they belonged to Jai so with my spare hand I gently stroked his arm letting him lean on me.

"I love you" he said.