Chapter thirty-three

I ended up falling asleep with Jai still with me for a while until a nurse came in and told us that visiting time was over and we needed to go home. I sighed, kissed my mum on the forehead as a goodbye and left with Jai.

We drove back to my house in silence, it wasn't an awkward silence but a nice silence as we arrived at my house. Jai was going to stay over again tonight to keep me company as I was home alone. I lead him upstairs and picked out my pjs to get changed into for bed. I went into my bathroom washing my face and changing before returning to my room meeting a half naked Jai at my bedside.

He smirked as he caught me staring as he climbed into bed. I climbed in next to him feeling his back pressed against me and his strong arms draped around me keeping me safe. This was perfect.

I woke up the next morning to my home phone ringing so I quickly removed myself from Jai's grip and stumbled downstairs trying not to fall over reaching the phone just in time, "hello?" I said into it. A woman answered, "hi is this Amy Wood?" She questioned, I fiddled with my fingers staring at the wall, "yes it is who is this?" I asked, "this is the hospital where your mum is...I'm afraid we have some bad news," she said trailing off. My heart sunk, my breath started to get heavy and my hands shook with fear.

"W-what do you m-mean?" I stuttered. I heard her take a deep breath, "I'm afraid that your mother has passed," she spoke. Those words filled my head as I dropped the phone and fell to the floor in tears. This can't be happening now. Please let this be a nightmare.

I covered my face with my still shaking hands as I sat on my knees, I heard the woman on the phone speak asking if I was ok but I ignored it and pressed the end button. I returned to my original position and let out a cry. My tears have now soaked my pyjama top, I clenched my fists and punched the floor out of anger and stress.

I heard thumps from Jai running down the stairs, "ams?" He said coming over to me lifting my hands a shocked face appearing when he saw my tears, "what's happened baby," he said. I didn't answer him, I threw myself towards his chest burying my face in him. He gripped me tight kissing my head and rocking me back and forth to calm me down.

"My mums gone," I whispered. "Shhh it's okay, it's okay," Jai repeated in my ear still holding me. I couldn't stop the crying and I don't think I ever will living every day without my own mum.

We sat on the floor, Jai comforting me for a while until we heard a knock on the door. I moved my head, wiped the extra tears from my face and slowly got up to see who it was. I opened my door to find Luke and Beau stood there, when they saw me their faces fell looking surprised. Luke straight away came up and hugged me which made me cry even more. Beau joined our hug as he shut the front door behind us, "amy what's happened?" Luke asked me breaking the hug.

Jai walked toward us a sad look on his face, I turned back to Luke, "it my mum," I said new tears forming. "What about her?" Luke asked confused. I remembered that I never actually told him that my mum went into hospital, "she's gone," I whispered looking down at the floor. Beau hugged me again and suddenly it turned into a massive group hug, I smiled, "thank you," I said still trapped in a hug.

***
A whole week has passed without my mum being here. It's been so lonely and so far I've managed to cry myself to sleep every night. Jai, Luke and Beau have been the best people I could ask for as they've stayed with me and supported me all this time. Part of my wishes that Laura was still my friend...

"Hey," Jai said coming into my room. I looked up, "hey," I replied quietly. I had been crying again so my voice was pretty croaky. Today was my mums funeral. A day that I was dreading. I don't know how I'm going to see her the way she is...

"How you feeling?" He asked sitting next to me on my bed, hugging me sideways. I smiled at his warmth, "even worse," I admitted keeping close to him. We sighed at the same time, "you ready for today?" He asked. I shook my head, "I'll never be ready," I said back shutting my eyes. He kissed my forehead gently, "it's ok," he whispered.