Day One

"You look nice." Iwaizumi deadpanned.

Yana smiled at his effort "Thank you"

The school wasn't that far from where they lived but it was still a little while away. They had to go up an unnecessarily steep hill to get to their school and she hated it with a burning passion. Uphill anything was a pain. Blame it on the lingering trauma from having to do laps up and down the hill whenever she missed the ball in volleyball practice.

"I'm going this way to the gym" Hajime pointed to the right. "And you just need to go straight and to the left to get to the main office. They should be open already. Sound good or do you want me to walk you?"

"I'm good" Yana chirped undeterred by one crucial factor. Directions were not her forte. It wasn't long before she got lost. She wandered through the halls pretending like everything was ok. The glossy cream tinged floor and white walls seemed to go on forever as she aimlessly wandered around. Yana lamented at her lack of navigation skills as she glanced out the window. "Maybe I should have asked Hajime for help." Thankfully, she was able to escape the confines of the building and make it out. She met eyes with another student. "Excuse me! Do you know where the main office is?" Yana could have sworn she saw him sigh.

"Yeah." His expression remained indifferent. "I'm going there too." He turned and began to walk in which Yana assumed, was the direction of the office. His dull brown eyes paired with his delicate features made him seem apathetic and tired, or perhaps he actually was.

She took his response as a cue to follow him. "What grade are you in?"

"I'm a first year student."

"Oh cool. Are you excited for your first day?"

"Not really."

Yana continued to keep her polite smile up as she tried to keep the conversation running. "What's your name?"

"Kunimi."

"I'm Iwaizumi. Ah, but my cousin also goes to this school so Yana would probably be easier."

Kunimi nodded in compliance. "Ok."

-----

The main office walls were painted white and the carpet teal -the school colors- which unfortunately clashed with the dark mahogany desks. There was an array of filing cabinets on the left of the desk with several stacks of paperwork haphazardly placed on top. The woman at the desk seemed like the well put together type -though her desk was a different story. She wore business casual dress wear and her blonde hair was tied up in a tight bun.

"Hi! I'm Iwaizumi Yana. I'm here to pick up my schedule." Yana wore her best 'first-impressions-matter' smile.

"Ah, The third year from Tokyo, correct?"

"That's me" she chirped.

"You'll be in the third-year building, class six." The woman handed her two sheets of paper. One of them had her schedule printed on it and the other was a club registration form. "We encourage our students to join some kind of club while in high school. It looks much better on your college entrance papers and it gives you a chance to try out new things while you are still young."

"Aha, of course. I'll consider it." Yana lied easily. She wanted to be part of the 'going home club'. After spending years of her life in the volleyball club she had decided she didn't want to wake up in the ungodly hours of the morning just to do exercise. She didn't mind the after school practice too much, but it still wasn't one of her favorite things to do. Honestly, it was hard to like anything with a demon coach breathing down your neck.

------

It wasn't long before students and teachers began to fill the campus and make their way to their classrooms. Yana waited outside the room till the teacher called her in, Yana took a deep breath and opened the door. It's just an intro. No big deal. It's not a big game or anything. You totally got this. She internally reassured herself. Yana scanned the room, much to her utter dismay yet expectation, she wasn't in the same class as Hajime.