Fireflies

"I didn't really know if you'd be awake, so I called you."

"You called me..." Yana glanced at the clock. "...at one in the morning to see if I was awake?" Yana had to keep the irritation out of her voice. What if she actually was asleep?

Oikawa didn't hesitate to reply, "Yep!"

"I'm hanging up."

Oikawa quickly responded and scrambled to arrange his words. "No! Wait! I called you because I have something to show you! You have to come outside though."

"Oikawa. It is hot. It is dark. I am wearing my pajamas. I don't want to go outside and suffer."

"Please, Konpeito-chan!"

"I don't wanna" Yana whined in response. Don't cave, don't cave, don't cave.

"It'll be worth it."

No, stop. You said you'd stop agreeing. "Can't you just ask Hajime?"

"It has to be you" Oikawa emphasized his words. He wasn't lying when he said that it had to be her, and he wanted to express it as much as possible in his voice.

It's one in the morning. Don't do it. "Fine. But I'm not dressing up for whatever it is." Yana screamed internally as her mouth moved before her mind could screen the words.

"Yay~!" Oikawa grinned from ear to ear. "Wait outside, I'll be there soon." He hung up and rushed to get ready himself.

"Fuck. I'm whipped." Yana hid her face in her hands. "This idiot has me wrapped around his little finger."

-------

"Konpeito-chan!" Oikawa ran over as fast as he could. "Hurry or we'll miss it!"

"Miss what?"

Oikawa had already started running before she could get her answer. Yana grumbled as she started running after him. It was too hot outside for this and running in flip flops didn't help the situation. "Oikawaaa wait!" the flip flops really weren't helping as she tried to keep up with his pace. Yana was about to take them off and go barefoot before Oikawa scooped her up in his arms, princess style. Yana's heart skipped a beat as he held her close.

"No can do!" He threw his head back in laughter as he continued as fast as he could. He was slower now that he was carrying Yana, but it would be faster and safer than her running barefoot.

Even in the dark she could see his smile. There was something about it. The way it seemed to cause butterflies to escape from the pits of her stomach. It was the kind of smile that made you happy to have gone along with his plans, as ridiculous as they may be.

"We are almost there. You have to close your eyes, it's a surprise."

"Uh..."

"Do you trust me?"

Yana pursed her lips. He hadn't given her any reason not to trust him, but a little inkling of doubt stained her thoughts. She slowly closed her eyes. She held onto him tightly as to not fall and listened to the sounds of the night. She heard his heavy breathing first but when she listened a little harder, she could hear the wind rustling through the tree's leaves.

By the time Oikawa reached his destination it had been a good few minutes and he was panting by the time he gently let her down. "Open your eyes."

Yana was greeted with a grassy meadow dotted by petite fragrant daisies. The minimal lighting from the moon splashed what would have been a colorful meadow with hues of muted greens, blues and purples. The meadow was on a gentle slope with beech and oak trees interspersed. The flowers seemed to be a pale lilac and the grass mirrored the deep color of the twilight sky. It was a bewitching sight. "This is really beautiful and all, but what are we doing here?"