Golden Week

Yana pursed her lips. That's the reason Oikawa had to hone his skills through hours of relentless practice. That's why he didn't take a day off today and why he worked so incredibly hard. He believes -rightfully so- that hard work can beat natural aptitude. Yana couldn't say she knew exactly how he felt. She wasn't claiming to be a genius or anything of the sort, but at the same time Yana knew she didn't have to work as hard as Oikawa did to reach her current skill level. She had just been lucky enough to have started young and had two friends who would play with her all the time. Yana reminisced the plethora of competitive and non-competitive matches she had played, mostly against stronger schools. She remembered that after every game she would pester the other team to teach her something new. Yana was blessed with a good environment to grow and learn. If Oikawa represented hard work and Kageyama represented natural talent, then Yana would represent experience and luck.

Yana thought for a moment considering the difference between both setters. "As incredible as Kageyama is, If I was a spiker, I'd much rather receive a toss from you."

"Are you sure that isn't just bias?" He scoffed.

She wasn't sure what had happened in the past, but presently Yana didn't even need to think about her answer, "I'm sure. I'd rather get tosses I like. It doesn't matter to me if the toss isn't textbook perfect or if other people don't like it. Who cares, it'll be me spiking that ball, not them. You give each member the kind of toss they are best at. I think that's something to be very proud of."

Oikawa was a little taken back. He wasn't really sure what to say. He couldn't really claim that it was just favoritism or her being 'nice'. If Yana-chan believed he was trash she would straight up tell him. It was another trait that Iwa-chan shared with her. It was probably something that ran in the Iwaizumi family.

Yana smiled, her eyes filled with nothing but sincerity. "Attractiveness, skill, charisma and intelligence. As much as I hate to say it, you possess all of those. And if it helps you feel better..." Yana knew she would regret saying what she planned but powered through anyway, "...In my opinion, and in your fangirls' opinions you are definitely better looking than Kageyama." Yana's smile turned into a coy smirk. "That part is definitely biased though."

"Are you... flirting? With me?" Oikawa gasped dramatically as he tried to fight a developing smile but the corners of his mouth turned upwards with the promise of mischief.

Yana groaned and rolled her eyes. "Why would you ruin the moment like that?"

"It was a totally viable question!"

Yana raised an eyebrow unconvinced. "How? Just complimenting someone and telling the truth isn't flirting."

"Well, if I were trying to flirt with someone, I would start exactly like how you did. I would start off by saying how cool she was. I could say pretty or cute, but in this example, cool is the better descriptor." Oikawa paused for just a second to examine Yana's face before continuing. "Then I would say that her eyes were the color of deep sienna, and that they reminded me of caramel and dark chocolate. I would say that a genuine smile suits her best. Unfortunately, it's literally illegal to be better looking than me, so I have to say something other than how pretty she is."

"That sounds grossly poetic. But I should have expected that from you." Yana interjected quickly.

Oikawa tried to stifle a laugh which gave Yana a ticklish feeling in her stomach. "I would also say that she can be really frustrating and mysterious. And it totally doesn't bother me how she has close to the same number of fangirls as I do, or maybe how she can be stubborn but is secretly easy to convince with the right bribe. She does a lot of contradictory things that don't add up, so naturally -as a seeker of knowledge- I want to know more about her. What does she look like in casual clothes? What does she like to do on the weekends? How does she like her coffee? What kind of flustered expression does she make? Will I be able to fluster her?"