Fairy Libero

Once Karasuno made it back to school Nishinoya immediately looked up video on the bigger screen and cranked up the volume to allow the rest of his team to hear it. The rest of the Karasuno students crowded around him and positioned themselves so they could all watch comfortably.

~~~

"Welcome back! It's finally the match you've all been waiting for!" The first show anchor announced with visible excitement.

"It's been a grueling three days for all the teams but we are finally at the championships!" The second one yelled into the mic almost too enthusiastic.

"This year we have a new rising school [Chīmu Girls' High] against the reigning champion for two years in a row, [Shōsha Academy]!

"That's right Tod! Do you think Chīmu will stand a chance against Shōsha?"

"If I'm being totally honest Andrew, I'm not really sure. Both teams have vastly different strengths. Shōsha mainly follows the 'offence is the best defense' mentality. Even their Libero plays aggressively! Have you seen those backline sets and Libero dumps? Shōsha is a team full of very individually specialized players and high-risk plays." The anchor took a breath. "Throughout the tournament Chīmu has been shown to beat each team with their clever use of feints and decoys. They are a crafty team and I'm living for it."

Andrew laughed. "I think we can all see who Tod is rooting for."

"What can I say? I like cheering for the underdogs. Anyway, let's have a look at the team lineups!"

~~~

Nishinoya skipped the lineup to the end where Yana's introduction started.

~~~

"And this is Shōsha's Libero. Iwaizumi Yana. Since she started playing, she has managed to captivate the audience with her insane saves and fast plays. So much so that she has been dubbed as 'The Sylph'.

"I've heard quite a lot of well-deserved praise for the Libero, but why Sylph?" Andrew followed up.

"According to mythology the Sylph is a fairy who is said to have an unusual control of the air. Sylphs are known for their speed, intelligence and foresight. Though they are usually portrayed as guardians. I would say that the 'Sylph' is an appropriate nickname for the Libero."

Andrew nodded at his partner's explanation before he brought up his next question "Until a few years ago Shōsha never really utilized the Libero position, why do you think they suddenly decided to play with one?"

"If you were handed a skilled Libero, wouldn't you want to utilize that skill?"

"Fair point."

"Well, that's enough of us talking! I'm sure you viewers are here to watch the game; this is Tod and Andrew signing out!"

~~~

The video clipped to the start of the match. Needless to say, the game did not have a slow start. It soon became apparent that Shōsha had begun the match with their highest offensive formation and left Yana to cover the entirety of the back row.

Coach Ukai stood behind his students and watched along with them. He thought the show anchors were exaggerating Yana's skills, but he was mistaken. No matter where the ball would fall, she would -without fail- get them. Every other Shōsha member never had to dive or scramble for a ball. While that was a good move for the team as a whole, Iwaizumi would soon be running on an empty tank.

It only took a little over fifteen minutes. The first set was easily won by Shōsha Academy. The other school wasn't bad at all, they were just faced with overwhelming opposition. Coach Ukai pulled up a chair and continued to watch the second set. It didn't take long before he realized what bothered him about Shōsha's team. They weren't a 'team' they were a 'group'. It was like having six Kageyama's on the field but without his abrasive personality. They each stood alone on the court with only their abilities to trust. Whenever there would be a disconnect or a failed risky play, Iwaizumi would have to scramble to save it.